The Dining Hall

**Sorry this is like 3 weeks late, my great aunt had a seizure, and has been in the hospital, and my second cousin is dying and not expected to live through the night.. I never really knew her, but please, please, please pray for her and my family...  Anyway, here's the update that's three weeks in the making!**

Ten's POV

 Dean and Sam, as brothers go, were very close-though when I told them, they laughed. "We hear that all the time." Sam says. "When our mom died, our dad went crazy. We were only toddlers." 

Dean added, "Our dad's kind of been MIA since then. You see, our mom was stabbed one night, and our dad in the other room when it happened. It ruined him. His anger and sadness mixed together into a fury of emotions and poof. He was gone."

I said the one thing that came to mind. "Wow." There wasn't anything I could think of that could possibly make anything better. 

They told me as we walked around campus that they were a year apart, with Dean in my grade, and Sam a sophomore. They've basically been living here for several years now, with the exception of meeting their father at their house an hour away from time to time. They were close to complete opposites, they said, though I really couldn't tell a difference. They were both blunt, somewhat obnoxious, and very, very sarcastic. Dean was more impulsive than Sam, and I could clearly tell why due to the fight with Moriarty just minutes before. 

When I asked about Moriarty, they had to think for several minutes before answering. "You see," Dean said, "Jim started here last year, and he got along with our group fairly well. But he began to become manipulative, and downright crazy. Through the year, he began to distance himself from our group. We didn't find out until the end of the school year what he was doing, and it was terrible. Sherlock, another one of our friends-"

"I met him at check-in earlier." I added. 

Sam chuckled. "Our eccentric little genius. Gets on your nerves, but he's absolutely amazing."

Dean waved him off. "Anyway, he found out that he was the head of this ring of hitmen, and shit. He's only a junior and yet he has that much power."

"Then why is he still here?"

"Who knows," Sam said. "If I were him, I'd be long gone."

Eventually, we headed to the dining hall, which was the opposite of what I imagined. I thought the hall would be an oversized cafeteria, but it was so much more than that. Sure, there were certain things that were served each day, but it was almost like a huge restaurant. There were sets of tables that ranged in length and number of tables. 

"Ten! You made it!" I look over at a large table, and see Rose waving to us. We walk over, and she pats down a seat next to her for me. "So you found those two weirdos. I'm so sorry. Hopefully they didn't cause too much trouble!"

Sam sits next to me, and Dean sits on the other end of the table, alone. Dean smirks. "Sammy's his roommate, so you never know. All hell could break loose."

Rose laughed. "I could see that happening, actually. Who's your roommate, Dean?"

He slumped into his chair, and grumbled. "Moriarty."

The only other person at the table, a girl with really long, dark brown hair sitting next to Rose, looked at him. "Jim?"

He looked at her strange for a second. "Yeah." 

She leaned back in her chair, and began to play with the ends of her hair. "Oh."

"This is Liz, by the way. She's my roommate! Liz, the guy next to me is Ten, the guy next to him is Sam, and that loner across from us is Dean."

She gave us all a small smile, but didn't say anything.

"Where are you from, Liz?" Sam asked.

"America. But I've lived here for about a year." She replied simply.

Dean smiled. "Yes! Another American!"

Liz looked at Rose, silently asking for an explaination. She responded. "There's a group of Americans that come here for school, and form a kind of cult. It's sad, really. They think they're better than us, because their from another country. I think they're pathetic."

"Why?"

"They think they're so much better, when they're on our turf. Actually they hate us more than anyone else here, mainly because of last year.  One of their pranks got out of hand, and.. Well, it just got bad."

"I hope you lot are speaking well of me in front of the new kids," A guy said as he walked up to the table. He took a seat at the head of the table, next to Dean. He looked at me, then Liz, and back at me. "Name's Jack Harkness. And, you are?"

Rose covered for us. "This is Ten, and Liz. Both are juniors."

Jack laughed. "Still going for the numbers, are you Rose?"

"Well, with a last name of Tennant, I kind of had to!"

Jack looked back at the entrance of the dining hall. "Nine, Eleven, Lestrade, Sherlock, and Gabriel should be coming in so- Oh! Speak of the devils! And they're bringing another new kid! It must be Christmas!"

One of the guys laughed. "Watch it, Jack."

"Oh, you know how it is, Gabriel."

Gabriel shook his head at this remark, and sat next to Sam. The rest of the guys sat at various ends of the table, two of them next to Liz, and the other three across from me, Sam, and Gabriel. Rose nudged me and whispered. "The ones across from us are Lestrade, Nine, and Eleven. The ones on the other side of Liz are Sherlock, and I think the other's John. He's new." I nodded, and looked at Nine and Eleven, the other numbers. I didn't really see a resemblance between them at all. Nine seemed much more reserved than his brother, and Eleven looked more laid back, almost at ease though he had more energy. He was almost bouncing in his chair. 

I noticed that Nine was also staring at me. He smirked. "So, Ten..."

"Nine..." I felt a smile form on my lips and before long we were both chuckling and shaking our heads. 

"So what was your name before the nickname?" He asked me when we settled down. 

"David. You?"

"Chris. Where are you from?"

"A small town on the other side of London for about a year now. Before that, I've lived all over the city."

"Oh, why is that? Did your parents change jobs a lot, or did you not like the house?"

"Actually neither. I don't know who my parents are. I've lived on my own for a while, and last year I was adopted by a police officer."

Nine studied me for a couple minutes, thinking. "Have you ever tried to find your parents?"

I felt a little uneasy about this. Of course I've tried. But after nine years of living in the streets of London, you don't remember a lot. The only thing I remember from my childhood was living with a foster family, and that the father would get drunk most nights and was abusive to not only me, but also his wife and his own children. He was the reason that I decided to live on my own. "Kind of."

Things kind of fell quiet between the two of us. There were converstations around all of us, Rose talking with Eleven and two other people that sat down, I think, if I heard their names correctly earlier, were Amy and Rory, Sherlock and John talking with Jack, Dean, and another guy, and Sam and Gabriel talking with Lestrade and someone else, and Liz looking between everyone at the table. But with all this noise around, he was still staring, not taking his eyes off of me. 

After a few minutes, we broke our gaze from each other because Nine was asked to settle a debate that was going on between Lestrade and Mycroft about some of the teachers and whether or not they would still be teaching this year, and I got pulled into a converstation with John and, more or less, Liz about whether or not we would like this new school. Soon enough dinner was served, and though we were eating, Nine was still staring at me. 

This might be a long year...