Dorms and Disagreements

I glanced at the paper with my dorm assignment, and looked at the buildings again. Building B. Assuming that was the middle building, I walked towards it, before a figure appeared next to me. "Second floor. Ninth door on your left."

"What?" I turned my head, to see a guy that was about four inches taller than me. His dark, curly hair was covering his eyes, but it was clear that his skin was pale. "It's obvious, isn't it?" He said. "You're obviously heading towards the B building, which is where most sophomores and juniors end up. I also saw that the room you're assigned is in the same floor as my own."

"And how did you know that?"

"Easy. The room you're in is B219. B, for the B building. The first number, indicating which floor, in this case is the second out of twelve. And finally, the last two digits is the room number itself. Two rooms away from mine."

He turned his head around, giving me a clear view of his face. Thin, blue eyes, and cheekbones defined enough to make me think I could cut my hand just by touching them. He nodded at me. "I'm Sherlock, by the way. Sherlock Holmes."

I smiled slightly. "David Tennant." 

Sherlock offered me a small smile. "So, she's picked you as Ten.." He laughed and shook his head.

I felt my confusion growing. "What do you mean?"

He opened the door at the front of the B building for me, and I went in as fast as one can when you have a cart full of stuff. "Rose gives certain people numbers for nicknames."

"How'd you find that out?"

Sherlock smirked. "I was waiting for Rose to arrive because her room's on our floor. I saw you two talking, and I heard her say something about calling you Ten. Also, she gave two of the other guys we hang out with number nicknames. For instance, Christopher and Matt, whom you'll meet at dinner, are Nine and Eleven, respectively." 

"What about One through Eight?"

He shrugged, and pushed a button for the elevator. "She just started at Nine. Didn't really give me a reason why, though I've deduced many theories. For one, it could be that that's her favorite number, but why give Matt the number eleven. Their favorite numbers? No, they don't have a favorite number, I've asked. Maybe number of siblings? That could definitely work, considering how the majority of Matt's clothes are hand-me-downs from Nine. They actually are brothers, two years apart, which gives me confidence that I'm right. Christopher has talked about how he remembers having a huge family at one point. And you, though not related, are in the middle because you are a junior, could just complete her little number cycle. I mean, Ten, Tennant. It just makes sense."

The elevator arrived, and we got in. Sherlock pressed the button with the number 2. He was right. 12 floors. "How does Rose know Nine?"

"They dated back when Chris was a juniors, last year. They broke it off, though. Nine was talking about all of these weird things, like being obsessed with something, or someone. She assumed it was another girl, and broke up with him."

It was a lot quieter as we waited for the elevator door to open. It wasn't terribly awkward, but there was a small tension that I could notice. The doors opened, and we walked down the hallway to my room. The dorm rooms were lined up like they are at a hotel, with two rooms across from two rooms. And like Sherlock said, my room was the ninth on the left. He took my key from my hands and opened the door for me. He helped me in, and took the cart as he was leaving. "Just in case someone else needs it. I'm right down the hall, B221. I'll find you around time for dinner." And with that, he vanished.

The dorm was kind of small, with just enough room for two beds, two desks, and two large closets. If you split the room in half, each side would be exactly the same. I decided to take the one on the right, and started to unpack. I started by putting clothes in the closet, including our required uniform: navy shorts or pants, white button-down shirts with the school's crest, navy and green tie, and whatever other items I would need, like sweaters, vests, etc.

By the time I finished unpacking clothes and started making my bed, the door opened to a guy, around my age. He smiled when he had sight of me. "Hey, you must be David. I'm Sam."

I walked up to help him with his bags. "Apparently I'm called Ten now, just so you know."

He laughed. "So you've met Rose," He put his bags on the other bed as I continued to unpack stuff for the room and he shook his head. "She's something, isn't she?"

"I really haven't talked to her that much, but she wants me to sit with her at dinner."

"Consider that huge, Ten. She never does that to anyone anymore."

"What do you mean?"

Sam looked up from his suitcase. "She used to be really friendly, and what not, but she's gotten a lot quieter, more reserved. She hasn't told us what's happened to her, but its just crazy."

"Maybe she's not ready to tell you."

"Yeah," Sam said quietly. "Maybe."

A silence fell upon us as we continued to unpack. When I finally finished, I laid down on my bed, and stared at Sam. He was, to be blunt, huge. As in tall, not fat. He was at least half a foot taller than me, and his long hair didn't make him look any shorter. Before I could analyze him anymore, Sam slammed his books against the desks, and groaned. "I am a terrible roommate, I'm really sorry."

My lips turned upward, and a chuckle escaped my lips. "It's my first year here and I've never had a roommate before, so I can't really say you're terrible."

"No, believe me, usually I'm really talkati-"

Sam's POV

A loud bang next door sounded. I shook my head. "Please tell me that's not-" I was interrupted by a yell. I groaned. Can't Dean keep his temper down for at least an hour? "Well, I guess I should check on my brother.. You can tag along, if you want."

I ran out of the room and went next door to B220, right next door. Fantastic, my brother's now my neighbor. I opened the door, and rushed in to find Dean and his roommate fighting. I went straight to Dean and pulled him away, slamming him on the wall. "CAN YOU PLEASE KEEP YOURSELF TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST DAY?"

Dean looked at me, before glaring at his roommate. "How 'bout you tell him to find a new room! There's no way in hell we're sharing a room!"

I turned to look at his roommate. Oh... I released my brother. "You have got to be kidding me."

"Well that's not a good way to say hello.."

"Shut up, Moriarty."

Jim smiled coyly. "Okay, Winchester."

He looked strangely at Ten for a second before walking out of the room. I sighed, and sat on Dean's bed. Dean stood in the middle of the room, staring at the door. "I swear to God, if he pulls anything this year I will-"

"Dean, calm down. You remember what happened last year..."

"Yeah, well he deserved everything I did to him."

"Maybe this is payback?"

Dean gave me a look. "Don't, bitch."

I sighed. "Whatever, jerk."

Dean looked at his hands. I knew how much he despised his new roommate. Last year was a roller coaster for all of us, and by the time the end of the year came around, we were emotionally drained.

Eventually, Dean noticed Ten. "Oh, so we have a fresh-meat on this floor?"

I shook my head and grinned. "Junior newbie. Name's Ten."

Dean gave me a look, and laughed. "Rose is something," He said. "Isn't she?"

"That's what everyone keeps telling me," Ten shrugged. He has no idea..

And for once, my brother and I began to relax for the first time since we left our house.