“You managed to shut it off?” Dylan asked, sounding all excited. “That’s great.”

“Yeah, I guess,” I replied dully.

Of course I was glad that I hadn’t been there for whatever she’d done with Simon this night. But it didn’t feel right to not feel her. I was so used to having her around all the time, to checking in on her, to sending her signals all the time. Now she was gone… I’d felt restless all night, wondering what she was doing. And when she’d woken up earlier, I’d felt a surge of adrenaline and love going through me, but I’d managed to push it back again, making myself small inside her mind. I had no idea what she was doing right now, which was both comforting and maddening. Relaxing and sickening. Amazing and awful. Dylan would never be able to understand, especially since I hadn’t wrapped my mind around it yet myself.

“Are you joining me for breakfast?” I asked Dylan, getting up.

He grinned. “Dude, you’re wearing nothing but sweatpants, shouldn’t you put on some cloths or something?”

I looked down at myself and smiled slightly. “Yeah, sorry, I’ll just-”

I was rudely interrupted by someone banging on the door.

“Lord – is someone kicking in our door or something?” Dylan asked surprised.

“I’ll open it,” I told him, starting toward the hallway. Who the hell was knocking so hard?

When the banging kept going, I flung open the door in a rush and looked down the hall in confusion.

“Eros!” Demona was standing in front of me, wearing nothing but her underwear. “Thank God.”

She flung herself at me and pulled me so close I found it hard to breath. I put my arms around her and stroked her hair. Behind her, Simon was looking at us with an angry look on his face. He was wearing nothing but pants, just like me.

“What’s going on?” I demanded to know. I was still looking at Simon while I held on to Demona. “Did you do something to her?”

The bond was working again, making me feel all of Dem’s distress and sorrow. She seemed awfully relieved, which didn’t make any sense.

 “Eros…” Dem’s voice was so tiny, so breakable. “I thought… I thought you were dead.”

Oh no, the bond! I realized. She didn’t realize I shut it off!

“I’m here, little one,” I whispered. “I’m just fine, no need to worry.”

“Do you always have to get in the way?” That was Simon, his voice loud and angry. “Can’t you just let us be for one single day?”

I gritted my teeth and tried not to respond. I needed to focus on the girl in my arms, not on her angry… well, her angry something. I guess boyfriend wasn’t the right term. Not now, at least.

“Well, well, what do we have here?”

We all turned to see Mr. Hammerhead standing in the hall with a bright smile on his face.

“What am I witnessing? Please enlighten me!” Before anyone could answer, he went on: “not a threesome about to happen, surely?”

“We’re just…” Simon started.

“About to get some breakfast,” I finished lamely.

“In your underwear?” Mr. Hammerhead replied with a barely repressed chuckle.

In a very dim-witted attempt to cover up the fact that Demona was wearing only a top and a lacy slip, I stepped in front of her, only emphasizing that I was in nothing but my sweatpants.