04 • Magic✓

Cornelius never expected Lord Miraz to be waiting in his study, reading a book, but was quick enough o hide the surprise that enveloped his features. 

"You have quite a library, Doctor." The Lord in question had suspicions of the doctor's hand in the Prince's and Princess's escape since it happened, and had made for his study. "Is there anything in particular you seek, my lord?"

"I think I already found what I'm looking for."

     Lord Miraz swings around, planting an arrow into the desk with a scowl on his face. "In one of my soldiers!" 

The doctor examined the arrow from afar, and into the book the steaming Lord before him had planted in. The four kings and queens of old covered the worn paper pages, images and words dancing across

Miraz turns to sit in Cornelius' chair, propping his feet up as he glared at the older man who had deceived him.

"What do you know of Queen Susan's horn? It was said to be magic." The lord had already read up on the legends of the horn, and he was almost sure the doctor knew where it was- but he also wasn't expecting for Cornelius to tell him. 

"Magic?" Of course Cornelius already knew everything about the horn, and it's whereabouts, but he wasn't going to say it aloud- in fear of what may happen to the pair of siblings he had helped escape.

"The Narnian's believed it could summon their kings and queens of old. At least, such was the superstition." Miraz knew his niece and nephew probably had some involvement with the horn at this point, he just wasn't sure to what extent.

"And what does Caspian and Aubrianna know of this superstition?"

"My lord, you forbade me from mentioning the old tales." And yet, Cornelius went against his orders anyways, for his fondness of the two Telmarine heirs far outweighed that of which he lacked for his liege lord. 

"So I did." Cornelius turned his head, seeing Glozelle in the door way, no doubt with other soldiers he had commanded to wait at the ready for his orders. What he didn't see, was Lord Sopespian behind the general. 

"I will say this: If Prince Caspian and Princess Aubrey know of the deep magic, my lord would have a good reason to be nervous." Cornelius knew his words would bring him possible harm, yet he didn't protest as he watch Miraz dip his head. The soldiers awaiting in the hallway enter, arresting the professor, who had only ever been there to watch over his two pupils after the death of their parents.

Glozelle and Sopespian stood in the hallway, holding conversation as they watched the Telmarine soldiers take Cornelius away.

"First our Prince and Princess, now their tutor. If the members of Miraz' own house are not safe, are any of us?" Glozelle squinted his eyes at the main, a hard edge appearing in his dark eyes.  "Lord Sopespian!"

Lord Miraz hadn't heard his words, yet he had other matters to discuss with the lord.
"Those are dangerous words, Lord Sopespian." Glozelle held warning in his phrase, eyes fleeting at he looked at the Lord before him.

"But, these are dangerous times, General. One should choose his words as carefully as he chooses his friends." The lord gives Glozelle his own fleeting look as he enters the study and walked toward Miraz. "How long until the bridge is finished?"

"Construction continues on schedule."
     Lord Sopespian knew what he was doing by befriending Lord Miraz, he doubted the man- but withheld from making an enemy of him.

"That's not good enough. I need my army across that river now." Lord Sopespian discreetly gives him a look of suspicion as he replies. "May I suggest you contribute some of your own men? I only have so many at my disposal-"

"A fact you'd be wised to remember." 

Miraz turns his attention to his awaiting general in the door way, nodding to him.

"Go to Beruna. Take as many troops as you need. We must get to Caspian and Aubrey before they do."
Glozelle exits as Lord Sopespian's interest peaks, taking notice of the words Miraz has just spoken. ""They," my lord?"

"It's time you learned your history." Miraz leaves, and Sopespian's gaze falls to the impaled book on the table, the four kings and queens of old strewn across the pages that had previously been read by the conspiring Lord.