7

River propped his feet up onto the table, leaning back on the hind legs of the chair

River propped his feet up onto the table, leaning back on the hind legs of the chair. He let out a huff as he looked around the studio apartment.

Maybe, this was a bad idea. He thought to himself. Either it was the emptiness of his apartment or the loneliness he felt in Quebec, he couldn't figure it out, but something didn't feel right. Possibly it was all in the moment.

He glanced down at his watch. 8:49 AM. All that left his mind when he scurried from the chair. He quickly put on his shoes and grabbed his coat and keys before running out his apartment to the lobby. It was 19 minutes past today's mail delivery and he'd been expecting something back from Emily.

He tripped in the middle of the lobby, since the backs of his shoes weren't even on. He quickly pulled himself up and went into the mailroom. Thankfully, it was empty, he unlocked his mailbox with the key and pulled out a stack of mail.

Gas. Electric. Mom. Joaquin. Emily!

He set the rest of his mail on the small counter and tore open the envelope and read her letter. Of course, he smiled, she liked it. He wanted to bounce up and down like a giddy child, but he refrained from it. He grabbed the mail and stuck it into his coat pocket.

River approached the lobby desk and spoke to the man behind it. "Do you happen to have paper and a pen?" Without a word, the man pulled both out for River and he thanked him. He sat down at one of the couches with coffee table in front of it. He leaned over and began to write a quick note.

Dearest Emily,
I'd like to hear your voice. Call me?
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Sincerely,
River

River fixed his sneakers before getting up from the couch and left the lobby. He walked down the street to the post office. While walking, he rummaged his jacket pockets for some change. He found a quarter and knew that would be more than enough for a single envelope and stamp. He pulled open the door to the post office and for once there was a line, a short one, but nonetheless it was a line. He noticed Darlene at the desk and gave her a small wave when she saw him. She smiled back at him and continued her conversation with the woman in line.

He wait there for no more than five minutes before he approached Darlene.

"Good morning, River."

He smiled, she was the first person to remember his name out here. "Morning, Darlene."

"Another letter for Emily?" He nod his head and asked for envelope. He hand her the quarter before folding up the letter and stuck it in the envelope. He used the pen from the lobby to write out everything on the envelope before handing it to Darlene.

"Did she like the little mixtape?"

"It was a... A song I wrote for her," he nod his head, smiling, "and she loved it."

"That's very romantic, I need to find me a nice guy like you."

River blushed, "I'm nothing special."

She nod her head, "you are, sweet pea."

"Thanks, Darlene." He put the pen in his pocket.

"Have a good day, River."

"You, too." He left the post office and hoped he wouldn't have to wait longer than a week to hear from Emily.

" He left the post office and hoped he wouldn't have to wait longer than a week to hear from Emily