1

He walked down the road with his hands in his jacket pockets and a heavy bag on his back

He walked down the road with his hands in his jacket pockets and a heavy bag on his back. He had been walking for days from motels to gas stations to strangers' tool sheds. Occasionally, he had been able to catch a different rides from kind strangers.

The sun began to go down and not a motel was in sight. He turned towards the road and stuck out his thumb in hopes that he'd encounter someone kind enough to pull over and help him out between the cold and wild animals.

No one stopped so he stuck his hand back in to his pockets and continued his treacherous walk along the highway. He pushed his blond hair out of his eyes as the thought of a warm house came to mind. Suddenly, he realized how stupid he was for leaving home in Pennsylvania, for getting kicked off the bus just as they crossed into Massachusetts.

He couldn't wait for tomorrow when the sun would be out and hopefully it'd be, even a few degrees, warmer. He could feel his body shaking in the twenty degree weather.

A blue car pulled over to the side and honked at the blue eyed boy. He felt some hope as he walked to the car. A women in her thirties sat in passenger seat with an older man who might have been her husband driving.

She rolled down the window, "where are you headin' to, honey?"

"Just into the next town, ma'am."

"Rockport?" The man asked.

He had no clue what the next town was, "I suppose if that's what's next."

"Let us give you a ride," he said and his wife reached into the backseat to unlock the door.

"Thank you, sir." He opened the door and got inside after taking off his bag. He shut the door and put the bag down on the floor.

"I'm Mabel and this is my husband, Bob."

He introduced himself as Bob drove back onto the highway,  "River, it's nice to meet you both."

"What a beautiful name." Mabel complimented him. "Isn't it, Bob? Maybe that's what we'll name the baby."

"Sounds like a hippie name. No offense, kid."

River chuckled, "none taken, sir, but it is a spirtual name. All my siblings have got one."

"What are they?"

"Summer, Rain, Liberty and Leaf. Though, Leaf goes by Joaquin."

"They're perfect. How old are you, River?"

"Seventeen."

Mabel gasped softly and looked back at him, "what're you doing hitchhiking out here all alone?"

"I'm making my way to Quebec then to Toronto. I plan to make a life in Toronto." He explained as he took off his jacket off, the car was perfectly warm. "I wouldn't be hitchhiking if it weren't for the bus incident a couple of days ago."

"What happened?" Bob asked.

"Just an ignorant man that I got into a fight with."

Nobody spoke for a moment.

"What's in Rockport, kid?"

He glanced at Bob as he tied his sneaker. "I'm hoping for an inexpensive motel."

Mabel nod head, "there's a nice one by the water, not too expensive. Why don't we bring you to it?"

River nod his head, "that'd be great, thank you."

The car stopped outside the motel. River put his jacket back on and grabbed his bag. He thanked Mabel and Bob for being so kind to him and got out the car. He gave them a wave and they drove off.

He looked up at the sign as he took his bag off and tossed it to the ground.

Harbor View Motel
Nightly Rate $40

He opened up his bag and took his wallet off the top. He pulled out all the money he had and put the wallet between his lips as he counted. $27. He put his money and his wallet away before putting his heavy bag back onto his back.

He continued his walk, past the shops and into the area where people lived. He walked for miles before spotting garage door slightly opened. He looked around before approaching the garage, there was enough room for him to slip his fingers beneath it and open it up to about his shoulders. He dunked his head down and went in.

The automatic lights turned on, startling him a bit. He looked around just to be safe and spot an open corner in the back by the passenger seat of the car parked in there. He closed the garage door and went to the corner. He took his bag off and sat down. He pulled out the small fleece blanket and wrapped himself in it as the light went out.

 He pulled out the small fleece blanket and wrapped himself in it as the light went out