He swiftly placed his hands on her stomach.

Soon, the two could feel their twins moving around. Michael’s eyes widened at the sensation. “Is that?”

Mariah gave a defeated smile. She responded, both delighted and annoyed, “Yes, that’s them.”

September 20th, 1997

It was midnight and Mariah was sound asleep. Michael stayed up late on the phone with his sister Latoya. He was having trouble getting to sleep and experiencing moderate withdrawal symptoms from his sleep routine in tour. She was the only person he knew would be up that late

“I’m so happy for you guys, you really deserve it.”

Michael snickered. “Yeah, we do. But what about you, I mean what’s going on.”

“I’m adjusting. Everything has been so up and down and it’s hard to keep someone special around, but I’m trying. I wish I could just meet the perfect man, you know?”

“I think you’ll find it. You’re a good person, you’ve just been through a lot. And that’s okay because who hasn’t?” He explained.

“Yeah.” She replied.

The two were silent for a moment.

“You know it’s sad that mother didn’t come today.” Latoya started.

Michael shook his head. “Last time I talked to her she was trying to convince me that-” He paused to lower his voice so as to make sure Mariah couldn’t hear him. “Mariah was cheating.”

“Yeah, that’s what she told me.” Latoya responded. “I just can’t believe she almost got in a fight with Mariah’s mother.”

Michael sat straight up on the bed. “What?”

“‘What?’ What?” Latoya asked, confused.

“What do you mean they almost got in a fight?”

Latoya began to explain. “Well from what I heard, because I wasn’t there, Rebbie took mother to meet Mariah so they could ask her about getting access to the house-”

“What house?” Michael interrupted.

“Neverland. And so she said Mariah tried to have security force them out of the party.”

“Party?” Michael asked.

“Mariah’s album release party. That’s where she debuted her pregnancy to some of the attendees.” Latoya explained.

“Wait what?”

“Yeah, there were all kind of people at her party apparently.”

Michael glanced over to Mariah, his lips forming a hard line. “Go on.”

“Okay so yeah they went up in there because Rebbie says they just needed to get something from Neverland but she’s been hiding from them. She said that Mariah hasn’t been at Neverland in weeks and keeps making these mysterious flights to New York. Then she was like ‘Mariah tried to get us dragged out of the party.’ Of course I don’t really believe her because she gave Janet a different story. But anyway, she said Mariah was really rude to her and that her mother started a big argument with our mother saying that you’re the only kid out of all of us who turned out to be a star and the rest of us ain’t nothin basically.”

Michael’s mouth fell slightly open as he furrowed his brows. “I don’t think Mariah would even do something like that to mother.”
Latoya started again. “I know. I’m just telling you how Rebbie spun it to me. She told Janet something different though because Janet told me the other day that Rebbie told her the only thing that happened was that Mariah left because she was scared of her.”