3.26 | Born to Die

"This is what it's like when we collide;this is how you bring me back to life

this is how you bring me back to life."
Bring Me Back To Life - Ht Bristol

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

THERE WAS A moment of stunned stillness.

Adi wished she had properly appreciated the quiet, because it only took a few seconds for chaos to erupt. Henry's family immediately formed a circle that excluded the three Neverlanders to discuss their options.

Upon the fast realization that they weren't going to be any help, Adi spun face the boys. "So how are we going to do this?"

Pan summoned the energy to give her the most withering look she'd ever seen. "Do you mean to ask how we're going to move the island?"

"Stow the attitude, Pan. You and I both know the shadow wouldn't have said anything if it was impossible."

Felix frowned. "I assumed it told us that the same way you tell a child they might one day be king. It's theoretically possible, but it won't ever happen."

Adi inclined her head. "Well. I'm sure when Pan was a kid, no one ever thought he'd be king. Yet here we are."

"Ah, so you admit that's what I am?" he asked wryly.

"It was a figure of speech. Don't expect me to start calling you your majesty."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he said, not looking away from her. "Tell me, then. What suggestion do you have to move an island?"

She pursed her lips. That was, of course, the problem. She could act confident all she wanted, but that did nothing to change the fact that she had no convoluted plan to drag them from the mess that was about to close over their heads and suffocate them.

But even with the world about to cave in, without an exit route in sight, she would not give in until the air was stolen from her lungs, and even then she would fight until her body gave out.

"You have no idea," Felix said, deadpan. When Adi's eyes set on the wooden club swung over his shoulder, she had a sudden vivid mental image of him hitting her upside the head with it and stealing her heart to save both Pan and the island. Not that she thought he would do that to her, but it had to have been tempting. She might have been, if the roles were reversed.

"Nope," she answered, a nervous little laugh bubbling out of her.

Then she began talking straight out of her ass: "We could leave with Henry and his family on Hook's ship. Take water for whoever needs to be kept alive, and then we could go from there." And upon seeing the looks on their faces, shrugged. "It's better than nothing, which is what I'm seeing from both of you."

"I don't think it'd work like that," Felix replied with what she thought was a placating tone. "Neverland would still die, and the water would lose its magical properties. Besides, I think Peter would die anyway. We can't just leave. That's like putting a bandage on a wound that needs stitches."