3.16 | Something Like Fire

"Now we've crossed a fine line;sharpen my knifeand point to the skyand blame it on my dark side

sharpen my knife
and point to the sky
and blame it on my dark side."
Dark Side - [SEBELL]

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

IF ADI HAD been told a month ago that she was going to be assisting Peter Pan with kidnapping, she never would have believed it.

And yet here she was, locked in debate with Pan and Felix about the best method to coerce an eleven-year-old into sacrificing his freedom to help a bunch of strangers.

"Why do I have to do it?" Adi groaned for the umpteenth time. Her feet were propped on the table in Pan's room. As she spoke, she toyed with her bow, her words intertwined with the string's off-key twang.

Across the room, Felix rolled his eyes. The gesture was justified, considering that she hadn't stopped complaining since Pan informed her of the plan, but she still resented it. "We already told you."

"Girls are more trustworthy," Pan continued, sounding annoyed from his spot atop his haphazardly made bed. "And you look more innocent than either of us."

"It doesn't even have to be one of us." She motioned between the three of them: her in the corner, Felix against the wall, Pan on his bed. "Have you met Slightly? The kid's nice as hell – he'd be great at it."

"He's not a girl," Pan said.

"Sexist," she accused.

Felix snorted. "More importantly," he said, ignoring Adi's indignant noise. "You want us to dispose of the two that are bringing him?"

"Yes, they'll only get in the –" Pan abruptly stood, looking like he'd been shocked as the color drained from his face. "Gather the boys. Someone's arrived."

"Them?" Felix asked, standing up straight as well. "Already?"

"Faster than I'd predicted, but no matter."

The second in command nodded, striding out the door and pausing only to wish Adi luck. Before she could tell him the same, he was already gone, leaving Pan alone with her.

"Get up," Pan commanded. "You need to change."

Adi slowly slid her feet off of the table. "What's wrong with my outfit?"

"You don't exactly look like a runaway."

"And you know all about the latest fashion for runaways, do you?"

"More than you."

"Then what do you suggest I wear?"

He didn't respond except to wave his hand over her, encasing her in jade fog. Adi was choking on the fumes when the magic faded. "You have to warn me, dumbass," she said between coughs.