2.14 | Into the Past

"I've been through and seen a lot;lived at the bottom and the top

lived at the bottom and the top.
We're on borrowed time,
but time isn't enough."
Room to Breathe - You Me at Six

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WHEN SHE WOKE, Adi felt terrible.

Her head was pounding, her heart racing, her throat dry. Her eyes burned despite the lack of morning sunlight, and she closed them against the darkness. She was pondering how long she could stay under the covers before someone came to wake her up when the worst possible scenario happened.

"Rise and shine, Adeline. We've got a big day ahead of us."

Grumbling, Adi lifted her head two inches off the pillow and squinted up at Pan's smug face. It took her a grand total of two seconds to decide she'd rather die than talk to him. She rolled over and yanked the blanket over her head.

"Get out of my room."

Upon her return, Adi had created her own tree house, determined to distance herself from Pan. She wasn't sure why she'd agreed to sleeping in the same room as him for so long, especially once she had the power to build a room for herself out of nothing.

After returning from Tink's to an empty camp, she was infinitely glad she had insisted on having her own space. If she'd had to crawl into Pan's cabin after that accusation...she didn't even want to think of what she might've spat at him.

"Get up," Pan said, this time with more force, as he ripped the covers off of her.

Adi sat up and yanked a hand through her tangled mess of hair. "I'm going to find a way to make my doorway repel you. What do you want?"

Much to her annoyance, he looked wide awake as he grinned down at her. "Training, of course."

She stood and stretched, stifling a yawn. "I finished your stupid training forever ago."

"Not quite," Pan countered. "There are a few more loose ends to tie up."

I could kill him right here if I needed to, Adi thought bitterly as she straightened her wrinkled shirt and believed her teeth to be brushed. "Alright, whatever, let's go."

"Excellent." Pan reached out to grasp her by the elbow.

They appeared in the middle of a clearing just like every other one that Adi had encountered on the island. But here, the tips of all the leaves were singed, and the faint scent of smoke decorated the breeze like a light spray of nauseating perfume.

Immediately, she understood. Her lips twitched into a small smile. "This is where you taught me how to use magic."

Either Pan had no other place to take her, or he was being nostalgic. She chose to believe the latter.