3.24 | King of Nothing

"No light, no light in your bright blue eyes;I never knew daylight could be so violent

I never knew daylight could be so violent."
No Light, No Light - Florence + the Machine

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

FALLON JONES USED to think that death did not matter. Before Liam, before Storybrooke, before Adi Morris, she had never been afraid of it. To her, death was the same as not being born. If you ceased to exist, it would be the same as the time before you ever existed in the first place. 

Dying, to her, was no more than simply ceasing to exist.

But it was Adi, not Fallon, who watched Henry fall, watched his tearful family rush to his motionless side, watched a victorious  Peter Pan rise from the floor as Henry collapsed.

She had realized a long time ago that death did matter. The moment she saw Liam's dreamshade-dark body, she understood how wrong she had been. It had been so long since that day, she'd almost forgotten what it felt like. The longer she looked at Henry – no, Henry's body, she reminded herself – the more she felt like screaming.

Liam hadn't been her fault. This was.

She forced herself to look away, up at the moon through the skull's eye, but that did little to quell the rising guilt.

A searing pain jolted along her right forearm. She pressed a hand to it but was distracted by both the rumble of thunder in the distance and Emma slicing Pan's shoulder with her cutlass before she could begin to wonder where it had come from.

Adi, startled, looked to the sky. For as long as she had been on Neverland, the weather had never once deviated from the same clear sky and warm temperature. Now the sky was black. At first she thought it storm clouds had rolled in, but a closer look told her that the sky was clear – it was just that everything in it was disappearing.

The half-moon was fading into a dull grey, the constellations tangled around it dissipating. The Big Dipper had lost its handle.

There was another tug of pain.

"Adeline," she heard Pan say through the fog that was becoming her vision. He grabbed her by the arm, maybe to teleport with her in tow, but he let go at once as she cried aloud in pain.

He watched in – was that concern? – as she held her arm out in front of her.

"Oh," she whispered.

What had Wendy said? He needs the heart to absorb all the magic in Neverland. He will be immortal. All powerful.

Absorb the all magic in Neverland.

Oh.

Oh.

 When Henry shoved his heart into Pan's chest, the magic had begun to flow from the island into him. Neverland's life force was being drained to save Pan.