≼ Chapter 3 ≽

(A/N: The names Jackson and Jay refer to the same person. Jay is just like a nickname for Jackson.)

*5 Months Later*

I felt my chest tighten as I ran down the tight alleyway behind Hal and Tom. My heartbeat seemed to increase with every pounding step I took. I looked back down the alley quickly, which was my mistake as I tripped over something in the alley, making me fall to the ground and sending my gun sliding away from me.

"Anna!" Hal shouted. He ran back over grabbing my arms, trying to help me up.

"Wait, wait. My foot. Its stuck." Hal let go of my arms and quickly went to work trying to get me free.

"Hal! lets go!" Tom shouted. He fired his gun down the alley as Hal freed me. He pulled me up and Tom handed me my gun. We kept running until we got to the end of the alley, pressing ourselves against the wall as Tom checked for clear.

"Did I not say it was a bad night to go out?" I hissed at them.

"Now's not the time Anna. You know we didn't really have a choice," Tom stated as he looked back in the alley. "Go! Go!" He ordered us, pushing Hal and me onto the street.

"There's always a choice!" I shouted as we ran.

I followed behind Hal, assuming Tom was right behind us. My heart pounded faster and harder with each step I took, the sound of a Mech making my forehead and palms sweat even more. I spotted a group of scavengers from the 2nd mass hurrying to collect anything salvagable in the street. There was one man collecting leftover gas from a car that was overturned.

"Go! Take the gas!" Tom shouted to the man. We ran past another guy who held a bag of food. "Bryan, Mechs! Stay down!" Tom shouted as Hal pointed over to where the Mech was.

The orange and blue rays from the Mech locked themself on Bryan. I whimpered as the rays turned to bullets, jerking his body around with each hit. The bullets ceased and his body dropped the ground, motionless.

Tom and Hal came to a halt and Hal grabbed my arm pulling me behind the wall with him.

"Grab the food!" Tom said. Tom ran out from the wall, grabbing a hold of the trolley and pushing it. Hal and I were running right behind him. Hal kept looking back making sure we werent gonna be shot by the Mech.

"I got you, just keep going!" I shouted.

We ran down the street, making our way between over turned cars that our camp has used as blocking barricades. I almost tripped on a body that was slumped on the side of a car, as I regained my balance I saw the orange and blue rays appoint themselves on Hal's back.

"Hal they're on your back!" I shouted at him. Tom let go of the cart pushing Hal out of the way. I stopped and turned, cocking my gun and firing rapidly at the Mech.

"Anna! Leave it! Get down!" We heard the locking sound of the guns from the Mech and I dived behind a car.

I covered my head as the sound of the Mech's bullets came close. Once it was done shooting it's round Hal ran over to me, pulling me up to my feet and we ran through the maze of cars again. The Mech shot at a car, making it explode and ignite, the blast throwing us to the ground.

We quickly scrambled to our feet, swinging our gun straps over our shoulders as we sprinted faster towards the gate of the camp.

My heart pounded in my ears and my legs felt like jello I had been running so fast. But I had to keep moving or I would end up like Bryan. I sucked in large breaths and kept my breathing as steady as I could while I ran. We heard shouts from the barrier and the opening of gun fire going past us towards the Mech. We proceeded to run around cars, Tom pushing Hal and I in front of him. We dodged the shells and casings that came towards us. We made it for a car that was our opening by the torn off doors. Tom and Hal crawled through the opening.