Chapter 13

Pipra's P.O.V

The compound was completely empty except for Henry and me. Henry was still sleeping and I assumed that it was morning now. I was leaning against a tree with Henry's head resting in my lap while I stroked his hair. A loud shout interrupted the peace and startled Henry awake. It was Peter. And he had a crossbow.

"Wake up! Catch." Peter says as he throws an apple at Henry, but Henry just stares at it as he slowly inches up.

"I don't like apples." Henry says as peter stands above us and lost boys gather in a small group behind him.

"Who doesn't like apples?" Peter questions as he walks closer to us.

"It's a family thing." Henry replys and I giggle softly under my breath. Peter also chuckles at what Henry said.

"Well, don't worry. They're not for eating." Peter states as he bends down on one knee. "It's for a kind of game. A really fun game. I call it target practice." Peter says as he points the crossbow directly at Henry and the arrow was only inches from Henry's nose. I pick up the apple and quickly shove it on the arrow tip and put it back with the arrow still stuck in the apple. I throw the apple and arrow up into the air and catch the arrow in my grasp and take a bite out off the apple. I looked at Henry to see him staring at me with amazement at the little trick I just did, then I look to Peter to see him looking both amused and angry that I ruined his fun.

"I don't think that we should waste such a good apple on a game that Henry Won't be playing." I state as I stare directly into Peter's eyes and take another bite. Peter just smirked at me and pulled out another apple and held it out for me to see.

"Then it's a good think I have another apple just for Henry. You can keep eating that one and Henry will get to play the game." Peter grins when he thinks he has me beat. Peter stand up and call the boys over while I help Henry get up. Henry walks up to Peter who is dipping an arrow in a jar of liquid.

"What's that?" Henry asks.

"Dreamshade. It's a nasty poison." Peter informs us and when I hear that name my head started to hurt again but I try to push it away and focus back on Henry and Peter.

"We have a story here about a man who once shot an apple off his son's head with an arrow. Let's find out if it's possible." Peter says as he loads the crossbow.

"If you're shooting at an apple, what's the poison for? Henry asks as Peter raises the bow up to his eyes to check the aim.

"Motivation not to miss." Peter states like it's the simplest thing in the world.

"Felix! Get over here!" Peter shouts as scarboy walks up to us. So that's his name.

"Is--is Felix good? Is his aim good?" Henry stutters, showing his nervousness.

"Doesn't matter." Peter states and I look over to Felix to see him grin. "You're the one doing the shooting." Peter says as he hands Henry the crossbow.

"But I-I don't want to shoot." Henry stutters and worry all over his face.

"And you won't have to." I say as I was just about to snatch the crossbow out of Henry's hands when Peter's hand grabbed my wrist and pulls me to his side.

"Now where would be the fun of that, Pipra." Peter whispers in my ear and the pounding returns so intense I fall to the ground clutching my head as I screamed from the pain. Thousands upon thousands images flash in my mind so fast and then it just stops. I open my eyes to see a hand in front of me and I grab it and get pulled back up by Peter. I quickly step away and see the lost boys in a small group while Felix had a worried look on his face and the apple on his head while Henry had the crossbow in his hands looking over at me with worry. Then all the lost boys started to chant shoot altogether and I could tell Henry was unsure what to do. Peter was trying to give him encouraging words.