A Campout for Squints? Seriously...?

Chapter Sixteen

Jennifer's POV

I put on some comfortable clothes to sleep in and threw on my shoes. I grabbed my sleeping bag and raced out the door. I ran to the Sandlot. The sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful mixture of colors, making it a beautiful sunset. The wind was still and the street lamps were turning on. As I neared the Timmons household, chattering voices in the distance filled the atmosphere.

The guys..... I thought.

We were having another campout tonight. Why? I don't even know.... Benny said something about Squints and a campout but I was too distracted by Benny's face to even remember. Heck, I'm freaking serious... All I remember hearing is "Squints," Campout," and "8 o'clock." Not kidding.

I walked into the Timmons backyard, nearing the tree house as I trudged through their yard. As I got closer, I could hear the boys loud chatter and foot steps. I decided to be evil for a little bit.

I went into the Timmons house and set down my stuff. I grabbed my baseball from my duffel bag and hopped the fence into the sandlot, being sure to remain quite.

I stood by the fence and pitched the baseball at the tree house. It sailed right through the tree house window.

"OWW!" Ham screeched.

"What the hell?"

"What was that?"

"It's a baseball. Idiots."

"How the...?"

All of the sudden I heard footsteps rushing down the ladder. I quickly darted out of the sandlot and to the front of the Timmons house.

"HEY! WAIT UP YOU BASTARD!" Benny yelled.

Crap..... They must have saw my shadow

I ran through the Timmons household and out the back door, grabbing my stuff along the way. I climbed into the tree house. I heard footsteps in the backyard and then all of the guys voices.

"I wonder who that was."

"Yeah yeah, big deal? It was probably just Phillips or something."

"Guys, lets just forget about it and go inside the treehouse."

All of the sudden footsteps were heard on the ladder. I pulled out my book I brought along and pretended to be reading, laying on top of my sleeping bag. The guys came into view.

"Hey, where were y'all?" I asked sweetly, closing my book and setting it beside me.

The guys all sat down in a big circle.

"Ahh there was a bastard who threw a baseball at us through the window and we tried to chase them." Squints said, grabbing a s'more. I looked at Benny and grinned widely. He just chuckled silently. I scooted over towards Benny and smiled.

"What was this campout for?" I whispered.

"Well we never had one for Squints when he kissed Wendy so now we're having one."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. Squints sat up and held up a flashlight.

"This story is about me, Squints. This summer, I worked up enough guts to pull off a 'low' move, as Jennifer Mendoza would say. This story is about how I kissed Wendy Peffercorn...."

I rolled my eyes and leaned against Benny.

****

I don't even want to remember the story.