10: Life Raft

Song: Safe and Sound by Tay Tay!

Two days later, Amy was sitting up in the chair listening to a new audiobook, when she heard the door open. It was later in the day, although she had no idea how to tell the passing of time other than when Jason was around and when he wasn't.

He didn't say anything as he walked around the room. He was making rustling noises, like he was undressing. He disappeared into the bathroom after she assumed he was completely undressed. This is strange for him. He usually has some quippy, dark, playful joke or teasing comment when he walks back in the room. She didn't know what she thought of him not saying anything but decided to pause the audiobook and wait for him to finish what sounded like a shower.

She heard the door open up again after a couple minutes and felt steam coming from the bathroom. "Hi!" she said, not knowing what else to say. She made sure to add a big smile to her face to show her cheery mood.

"Just don't, Amelia." Man, he is in a black mood.

"What's wrong?" she asked him. She didn't take the hint. He'd helped her so much that she wanted to be there for him. It was only the right thing to do.

"Amelia. Shut up," he gritted out.  He said nothing else. She didn't like it. He was angry about something, but he didn't have to be mean to her.

Instead of listening to him, she pushed, "Jason, talk to me."

"Obviously, I don't want to ... talk," he snapped at her.

"Doesn't mean you have to be an asshole to me. I did nothing wrong."

Before she could say anything else, she felt a hand around her neck and could feel his breath inches away from her face. "You didn't listen to me. I told you to shut up. Did you listen? You didn't listen." There was only slight pressure on her neck from his hand, but she wasn't ok with this at all.

"Excuse me, Jason." She grabbed his hand and pushed it away from her, and she stood up in front of him. She just knew he could see the anger rolling from her in waves. "Well I was trying to be here for you! And apparently that's not ok, but you listen to me here! You ever put a hand on me again, and blind or not, I will take your ass down. I'm not afraid of you. You can't intimidate me. You hear me?"

Instead of hearing a sorry like she was expecting, he instead picked her up with strong hands at her waist and threw her onto the bed. "I need my chair. Don't yell at me again, Amelia. I go really easy on you with your attitude, but keep it up, and I won't."

"Fuck you, Jason. What are you going to do about it? Beat me?" she pushed herself to the edge of the bed and stood next to it. She may be naïve sometimes. She may be a quiet loner. She may keep to herself, but she won't ever let someone walk all over her--just as he said he wasn't a doormat when she first met him. She was trying to help, and that's fine he didn't want her help, but to put his hands on her and to talk to her the way he was? Not acceptable at all.

He growled, and instead of it sending heat to her core, it just furthered her anger. She didn't care if she was blind, it was on if he started on her. She could hear his footsteps getting closer. She raised her chin, waiting for whatever was going to happen. She could hear his heavy breathing, and she could almost hear him thinking of his next move. She swore that if he hurt her, she was going to lose it on him. Not expecting it at all, she jumped when he yelled out in anger right in her face. He then stomped away and sat in the chair.

She sat down on the side of the bed, and she was shaking. She didn't know what he was going to do. This arguing while being blind is a really tough thing to deal with. She couldn't see his face or his next move, she could only wait for it. She didn't think he would hit her, but she also didn't think he would put his hand on her throat in some type of submission play. She knew he was alpha male, but that's just not ok. She had backbone, and there was no way she was going to be scared of someone she came to care about. Bullies with guns? You get down on the floor. Guy you're starting to fall for? You put your chin up and hope you come out on the other end still caring for him.

She heard him lightly say, "You don't even know what you're doing."

"I do, Jason."

"No, you don't. Don't say the opposite again. You don't know what you're doing."

"Are you ok?"

"You're really asking me that?"

"Well, yea, you were angry when you walked in, and I'm sure this didn't help."

"No, I mean, you're not angry with me? Shouldn't you be screaming crying and throwing shit at me right now?"

"Why would I? There's no point, but, Jason, what's wrong?"

"Fuck, Amelia. You really don't give up."

"Stop diverting."

"It was a deal gone wrong. I lost a lot of money. I wasn't this calm earlier."

"You call that calm?"

"Yea. Very calm. You have backbone, Amelia."

"Well, I just want to be here for you, Jason. You've been here for me this whole time." She laid down and said, "Come here." He wordlessly walked over to the bed, and she felt him get under the covers with her. She put her arms out, and he laid his head on her chest. She played with his still wet hair, and he put his arms around her midsection and hugged her to him. She could feel that he had jogging pants on and no shirt.

He was holding on as if she were a life raft in the middle of the ocean. She didn't know how to feel about how he dealt with his anger, but he honestly just didn't know how to deal with it. He complimented her for how she stuck up for herself to him, but he really didn't do anything wrong to her. He yelled. People yell. She could totally deal with him, she thought to herself, as she ran her fingers through his hair until she could hear him lightly snoring.

A/N: I hope you can't tell that I really didn't like writing this chapter. I don't want to push it. I don't like the stories where they push the abuse. It's not cool, it's not ok. If you're looking for abuse, you won't find it here. Trickery? We have lots of that here, but no abuse. In part 14, there will be more explanation for you lovely people. As usual, let me know what you think of this part, of the direction this story is taking. How do you like the overall characters? As always, constructive criticism is always welcome.

Until next time, lovelies. Ta!