Chapter 18 - Memories

Start from the beginning

(If there isn't a photo above this text, please let me know!)

Meanwhile everyone else who was armed with an MP40 or the STG44 did 'Sling arms' instead and had the weapon resting against their backs instead of ground arms.

The eyes of the Commandant scanned over his men thoroughly and he was pleased with what he saw, the formation was stiff and stark, clean, and it looked astonishing. He was proud of his Oberfeldwebels, they put the effort in alongside of their platoon commanders and made his Company look presentable to take part in the next parade if that ever does happen again.

Once he was through with his inspection, the Hauptmann strode over to the very left of the company's formation and stopped to stand to attention as Oberst Pyritz came up to address everyone. Even Oberstleutnant Adrian was there with the older man.

"Heute menschen, we're going across the bridge into the fire of Arnhem to push those foolish enough to try and cross our borders!" Pryitz began as he too was admiring the formation and the other two company's finally made it as well and were rushing to company formation.

Pryitz wasn't going to wait for them, they were late, and it's their faults if they miss anything important he says the first time around. So once he's done with his beloved first company, he's going to address the issue of the other three that ran late with a punishment or two for the officers.

"Once we receive orders from above we'll be crossing that bridge to drive the enemy off from our borders! Today is the day we'll defend our homeland from the allies, we'll make Germany and her people proud today everyone, Stand with me and your Oberstleutnant today!" Pryitz said, his goal was to rile the men up for the oncoming battle.

But it didn't take much, everyone was roaring to go, they wanted to fight and defend their homes. The enemy was literally at the gates today and they're uncomfortably close to their homes, their families here in die Vaterland.

"Your main goal here at Arnhem is retaking the city in support of the garrison here, just remember this simple task I'm about to give you all. Your mission today here at Arnhem is to completely encircle the enemy and crush all resistance before you! Pound them into submission men, I'll leave the rest up to your company commanders." Priytz said as he began to pace back and forth during his little pep talk to the troops.

After a moment when he didn't hear any questions or comments, he stopped pacing and faced everyone, "Dismissed! Fall out and rest up for the upcoming assault." The Colonel commanded and everyone saluted as hundreds of heels clicked together during their salute to their commander.

The man stood there for a while, watching his men fall out of formation and it was clear that some of these younger boys had never heard gun fire, let alone the spine chilling boom from their artillery

Some of the rookies here were good at hiding their fears, but then there were the more obvious ones that were shaking in their boots.

It's completely understandable and acceptable even, and as Pryitz stood there watching, he observed how some of them nearly jumped a mile high at each salvo from the artillery.

Kristin picked up on it too, and it was also especially noticeable with Herr Kittel. So Kristin wandered on over to his platoon commander and placed a hand on his shoulder, he immediately felt the slight tremors from his trembling figure.

"Is this your first time in a actual, large scale engagement Herr Kittel?" Kristin inquired as the younger Second Lieutenant fidgeted with a small metal cross necklace that was suspended from his neck.

The boy was turning into a nervous wreck as he barely got his acknowledgment out to his older friend.

Kristin had to fix this and fast, it doesn't do anyone good, especially with the enlisted men to have a shaken authoritative figure crumble in front of them.