Chapter 49: Hate and Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

'You don't understand, you haven't been in love with someone for so long!' He started to raise his voice. 'And why is it that as soon as you see him, your stress just goes away? It just looks like you're starting to have a thing for him again!'

Something inside me broke; I stared at him.

'Is that what you think?' I managed to say, my voice trembling. 'You think I'm not stressed anymore because I saw him? You know how I am with sports, you know how I've never missed training for two days in a row! And what do you mean, it looks like I've got a thing for him again? Do you think my love towards you is that shallow? But guess what, just because I haven't liked you for the seven years before we started dating, it doesn't mean that I'll give whatever it takes to stay with you!'

I took his hand and gripped it.

'Please, Tom. Don't let hatred blind you. You have my heart, and his belongs to Kat and I'm just simply happy for them. I don't know what happened after Ed and I broke up, but they're willing to tell me, to tell us, so I'm going to take it. I don't know if you want t come with me, but I just want to know the truth. Why he did that, why they're together. But seriously Tom, just because I saw him it doesn't mean that I'm in love with him again. Sure, I'm wondering why he's here in LA and yes, I'm glad that he's back to his normal self but it doesn't mean a single greeting would change my love I have for you, okay?'

I leaned forwards and kissed him. At first he was extremely tense and didn't kiss back. But the longer I lingered, the more he relaxed his shoulders and he eventually kissed me back.

'I'm sorry...' he murmured when we parted. 'I - yeah. I was a bit... jealous and annoyed and stuff.'

I smiled slightly, stroking his hair again. 'I could tell.'

Sighing once, he slipped his arms around my waist and rested his head above my chest again.

'I love you.' He said.

'I love you too.'

***

Friday evening eventually came, and I nervously knocked on their door at half past five. Their house was in Santa Monica and was a two storey house which the back faced the Pacific.

A moment later the door opened and Kat smiled at us.

'Hey! How're you both?'

'Alright, I guess.' I laughed weakly.

'Yeah, fair enough.' She let out a weak laugh too. 'He's back there, a little nervous.' She nodded behind her. 'But please, come in.'

We saw him sitting down on one of the chairs at the dining table, facing us. He gave Tom and I a nervous/weak smile.
I returned a smile but I don't know about Tom. Seeing Ed relaxing slightly, I guess Tom nodded or greeted in some way.

Tom pushed my wheelchair under the desk opposite Edward a bit hesitantly. Once Kat joined us with drinks, she turned to Ed and said, 'When you're ready.'

He looked nervous as he ran his hand through his hair and scratched his head. Then, taking a deep breath, he began.

'About a year and a bit since we, like us, started dating, things between my parents got bad. And I mean, bad bad. Dad... his business almost failed really badly, and during those times he was worried sick that he... started drinking. Both mum and I thought that it was going to be a short term thing. Once the job was back to their normal state - because it was miraculously recovering - we thought that he'll stop his drinking. But he didn't. He was too scared to go back to work. We tried to convince him to go back, because he did own that place, but that backfired onto us. He started yelling and hitting us time to time. Then mum and dad got into a huge fight. It probably lasted months, until mum left.