Chapter 80

It was then I made my big mistake. There was some sort of scuffle on the street, and my eyes were drawn to a dark Mercedes sedan. I saw some people running toward the scene. But I had an argument to win.

"We need to go back to Ancien," I said. "The only way I can get into Gaia is by having physical access."

A man near the road started running, but I didn't give him much thought. I figured he was headed toward the basketball court.

"The place is teeming with people trying to kill us," said Alex. "We can't risk it."

"I built the place. You know there's a series of hidden passages. We can sneak around, and nobody would ever realize."

Except, then I realized, the man wasn't running to the basketball court—he was running toward us. That was weird. The guy was close enough now that I could sort of make him out. He definitely wasn't a dad.

"It's Doug," I yelled. Alex leaped to his feet, but Phillip sat paralyzed in abject terror. Alex reached over and pulled him up, but by the time he was standing, it was too late.

"Stop or I'll shoot all of you," Doug yelled, as he slowed his approach. He didn't even try to hide the gun. I raised my hands above my head.

"There's no need to do that—put your hands down," Doug snapped. "You'll draw attention to us, and then I'll have to shoot you."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alex looking around. From where I was standing, I could still see the dark Mercedes and the people standing around it. Someone was on a cell phone. Maybe they had seen Doug's gun. Maybe they were calling the cops.

"You three have caused me enough trouble this week. You're quite the troublemakers indeed. But that's all over now. You're going to come with me, and do not try to make a scene."

Alex and Phillip both looked at me, as if I was supposed to give them some sort of signal. We outnumbered him three to one. He could shoot one of us, maybe two. But definitely not all three. We could take him. Alex and Phillip were ready to do it, too. I could see it in their eyes. Seemingly unconsciously, Phillip patted his bulging pocket. I'd forgotten he still had one of the Ancien guards' guns. But he wasn't going to make a move without my go ahead. Loyal to the end. Then I made the decision, and that was my big mistake.

I shook my head slightly, calling them off.

"We're leaving," Doug said. "No funny business now. Let's go."

I did as I was told and began to walk toward the Mercedes. Alex and Phillip followed, while Doug herded us from behind. It was a calculated risk. I figured Doug was going to take us to Ancien anyway—exactly where I wanted to be. But as it turned out, my assumption was wrong.