Chapter 33

Alex sat in the hospital waiting room, drinking an old cup of cold coffee and feeling grateful that he was still alive. The shot had scraped the outside of Phillip's heart, and he had been put in a medically induced coma to recover. Alex knew that things could escalate quickly with these kinds of situations. Influential people hiding big secrets and all. But he didn't think they'd be willing to open fire in broad daylight, in the middle of a university campus.

The police had rushed in and locked down the perimeter within thirty minutes, but the shooters were long gone. Afterward, the local police asked Alex for his version of the story more than twenty times. He hadn't been able to make out the shooters' faces, but there were two of them: Caucasian, dark haired, wearing all black. He saw them riding away on motorcycles, and that was it. There was not much else to tell.

It was a good thing Alex had once been a cop, otherwise they wouldn't even have that much. Heath couldn't remember anything at all. The police had let him go long before Alex, since he was so useless. Once Alex was free to leave, he found he had nowhere to go, so he went to the hospital. At least there he could watch over Phillip.

Two cops stood outside Phillip's room. Alex had tried to get past them—not because he particularly wanted to see Philip, but because he wanted to see if he could manage it. He told them he was a cousin. They didn't buy it; they asked for identification. Checked a list. The list came up short. Alex was pleased. They were taking this seriously. With nothing else to do, he just sat in the waiting room. At least it had a clear view of Phillip's room. He drank the only thing that wasn't pumped full of sweetener—the cold coffee.

Then a man appeared in the hallway and made for Phillip's room. Alex picked up a magazine but watched the scene carefully out of the corner of his eye. He didn't want to be seen staring. As they had with Alex, the guards stopped the man. There was a short conversation followed by a request for identification. Then they checked the list. The cop shook his head. The guy pointed to the list. Looked like he wanted the cop to check it again. The officer obliged and once again shook his head. There was some more conversation—this time a little more heated. Alex's interest was piqued. He snuck over to the waiting room door and cracked it open.

"This is ridiculous. I want to talk to your boss. Do you realize who I am?"

"Look, we're under strict orders here. No one goes in if they're not on the list. Our boss is coming in about fifteen minutes if you want to hear the same thing from him."

The man looked at his watch.

"I'm going to have your badges for this."

The man turned around and made a beeline for the waiting room. Quickly, Alex closed the door and sat down again, pretending to read his magazine. The stranger stormed in. He was well dressed. Corporate. And he moved a certain swagger. This was a man who was used to being in charge, and he was not accustomed to waiting on anyone.

The man went to the coffee dispenser and pushed the button. It spat out a few drops. He threw the cup in the garbage and went to the couch. He sat down, nodding to Alex. Alex nodded back. A confused look came over the man's face. Alex glanced down and realized he'd inadvertently picked up a copy of Women's Health. Alex gave the man a shrug and a smile.

"Friend or relation?" Alex asked, like they were at a wedding.

"Friend," said the man. He pulled out a BlackBerry and started typing. Apparently he wasn't feeling sociable. But Alex was.

"I haven't seen one of those in years. I didn't think they even worked anymore," said Alex.

The man laughed but didn't take the bait. He kept typing furiously. Alex was going to have to switch strategies if he was going to determine the man's identity.

"You know, I'm Alex. Phillip's boyfriend. And I don't think I've met you before."

The man looked surprised but kept his face buried in his phone.

"Oh? Well, I'm Phillip's boss."

"I thought his boss was a woman? Luna something?"

"Oh, yes, that was Phillip's former boss," Thor said. "I'm his new boss. Thor Massino. Pleased to meet you."

"Ah, so you're the asshole who laid him off."