Chapter 47

I was on the run again. However, if there was anyone in the world I could choose to be on the lam with, it would be Alex. He was always so calm and collected.

The day before, we had narrowly escaped by ducking into the courtyard and running into a neighbor's yard. Alex took my phone and threw it into a koi pond. I was mad at first—there were phone numbers on there that I had never memorized. But who knew if Ancien was tracking me through my GPS? And at least Alex still had his phone.

We found an ATM at a 7-Eleven, and I withdrew as much cash as I could. Then Alex tore my credit card from my hands. I was afraid he was going to throw it away, but he didn't. He just didn't want me using it out of habit. He put the card in his back pocket, in case it became absolutely essential that we use it.

From there on, we no longer left a digital trail. We paid for two rooms at a cheap motel in cash. We used fake names. But I didn't get much sleep. Every time I heard a noise, I thought someone was about to break down the door and kill me. It got so bad that I knocked on Alex's door. I was glad when he opened it. We shared some whiskey from the minibar.

In the morning, we checked out of the motel. Alex told me to take everything because we weren't coming back. I laughed. I had nothing to take. We got breakfast at Denny's. I hadn't eaten at a Denny's since I was a kid. I got a Grand Slam with bacon and French toast. Alex just drank coffee. He made me feel so safe. The only other man to make me feel so safe was my dad.

During breakfast, Alex got a phone call from Heath. He wanted to meet. Alex didn't seem to think it was a good idea, but Heath had been shot at, too—just the same as Phillip and Alex. He was one of the good guys. Or at least, he wasn't a bad guy. Besides, at this point, we needed all the help we could get. They decided to meet at noon at a coffee shop in East Palo Alto.

We took a taxi. It was dirty and smelly inside. The Starbucks was in bad shape, too. Alex had picked one of the worst areas to meet, but I was sure he had his reasons. We waited for fifteen minutes before Heath finally arrived.

"Sorry I'm late," Heath said. "Traffic."

He still had a big fake grin on that handsome, chiseled face. He was as self-assured as I remembered him.

"Luna, it's so good to see you. It's been too long," continued Heath.

"Good to see you, too."

"And, Alex, I'm sorry we got split up after the shooting."

"Why did you want to meet, Heath?" Alex's tone surprised me.

"I wanted to make sure you're okay. I've been thinking about you. How have you been?"

"You could have asked me over the phone. I'm only going to ask this one more time, Heath. Why did you want to meet in person?"

"I need you guys to know that Ancien is after you, Luna."

"Yeah, we know that already," I said. "They almost got us, too. Last night."

"You need to come with me," said Heath. "We can stay at my hotel until we get this straightened out."

"That's not going to happen," said Alex. "Come on, Luna, we're going."

"Wait," said Heath. "Don't go. I can help you get out of this mess. But we need to work together. I have an idea, but you have to trust me."

Alex grabbed my arm, but I pulled away.

"No, I want to hear what he has to say."

"Luna, there's only one person you can trust, and that's me. Remember the last time I told you we needed to go?"

"It seems like that's all you tell me to do. Listen, go warm up the car. I'll be there in thirty seconds."

Alex was about to refuse, but I interrupted.

"Thirty seconds. I promise."

He relented.

"So," I said to Heath. "You've got thirty seconds."

"You can't trust him, Luna. I know you think you can, but I'm still your lawyer. Is he the one who convinced you it was a good idea to skip bail?"

He didn't exactly convince me to do it. It was my idea. He'd just helped me see the wisdom of committing a felony. When I thought of it that way. I nodded.

"Look, I'm sure you two have been through a lot. I know a lot of crazy stuff is going on, but you need to come with me. You need to trust me. I've been looking for you ever since New York." I pointed to my watch. "No, I need more time," said Heath. "Time to explain. Please, come with me. I can tell you more in the car."

I thought about it for a moment. He was clearly sincere in his concern. He meant every word. I could usually tell when people were lying to me. If he was lying, he was doing a damn good job of it. But words are just words. Heath was right about one thing. Alex and I had been through a lot recently. And his actions made it clear to me whose side he was on.

"Your thirty seconds are up," I said.

"Luna, please. Don't."

"I'm sorry, but for what it's worth, I do believe you're on my side. I think."