Until Death Do Us Part (Enjorlas x Reader)

Requested by helenebezukhova
Word count: 1,829
You lay your head back on the building you're currently leaning against and close your eyes. The silence that filled the barricade was unnerving and didn't feel right. Just last night, the barricade was filled with laughter and joyful talk of victory against the ruthless French government, but now, it was silent.

"How could this happen," you think as you feel your lower lip begin to tremble. "How can she be dead? My best friend..." You watched Eponnine move the gun away from Marius towards her body, taking the bullet for Marius. She sacrificed herself for him because she loved him. As much as you want to be upset at her, you can't. "I would do the same thing," you think as you look over at Enjorlas, who was currently talking with the new guy, who warned us about the French's surprise attack.

The smallest of smiles graces your face once you see his face. You and Enjorlas have been courting for almost a year now and you two were completely in love. The two of you met at the first meeting for the revolution and even though the two of you only told each other your names as a greeting, it was the beginning of your relationship. Soon the two of you began to talk more before and after meetings, which lead to the two of you walking home together and soon to him asking you to court him. But that time feels like ages ago, especially now with some dear friends dead and gone.

"Y/n," you suddenly hear a voice say, pulling you from your thoughts. Looking up, you see Enjorlas standing next to you with a concerned look on his weary face. "Are you alright?"

You give Enjorlas a small smile. "Considering the circumstances, I'm alright."

"Are you sure," he asks as his hand goes to your cheek, gently wiping away a tear you did not know was there.

The minute you feel him wipe the tear away, your lip begins to slightly tremble and your eyes begin to fill with tears. You close the distance between you two and wrap your arms around Enjorlas, sobbing into his chest. You feel his warm protective arms wrap around you and pull you a little closer to him. You lightly clutch his shirt in your hands as you continue to cry, the grief of all the lives lost finally catching up to you. And for a moment, that's all that happens between the two of you, no words are spoken and none are needed. Just being in Enjorlas' arms is all you need and want.

After a few minutes, your sobs soon slow to quiet tears and you move your head from Enjorlas' chest so you can look up at him, both his and your arms wrapped around each other. You see him softly smile and you smile back. "Marry me," you hear Enjorlas say as he meets your eyes.

Your eyes  widen. "What," you ask, not believing what you just heard.

"Marry me," Enjorlas says again. "Tonight, before the battle tomorrow. I was planning on asking you tomorrow, but I can't wait any longer and with the uncertainty of tomorrow.....I don't want to die with any regrets, and not asking you to be my wife would be the biggest regret I could ever have. So Y/n, will you marry me?"

You feel tears of joy begin to fill your eyes as a smile spreads across your face. "Yes," you happily say as you gently place your hand on Enjorlas' cheek. "Yes, I will marry you." And with that, you gently press your lips to Enjorlas', which he returns a second later.

The sound of clapping causes the two of you to pull away from each other. You see everyone in the barricade, with clapping hands and smiles on their tired faces, looking at the two of you. A shy smile spreads across your face as you feel your eyes begin to water again. Everyone in the barricade was your family and there was no place you would rather get engaged at then with your family to congratulate you.