34

Zayn got back home to a dim lit setting. The lights of the house were turned off and the flickering candles lining up the entire hallway and leading towards the dining table did nothing to soothe the unnecessarily loud thumping of his heart beat. 

Taking a sharp intake of breath, the Pakistani forced his legs to move forward, lips working on the chewing gum he had in his mouth to get rid of the sour after taste of vomit, alcohol and cigarette smoke. He had somehow even managed to shower himself in the spare bottle of cologne that was lying in the backseat of his car for convenience. Overall, even though he felt like a wreck and probably looked like one, he was still going to pretend that everything was peachy. 

Because it really was. And when his footsteps stopped outside the dining room, where Niall was arranging plates on the beautifully decorated table with a candle in the center, the lights of the room turned off and everything presenting a golden glow to it, Zayn had a realization that everything was actually peachy. He had the one person he wanted the most in his life and he had even succeeded in the one thing he wanted to achieve. He had a job now for fucks sake and that in itself was huge. 

"You're back." Niall's excited squeal caught his attention and for a moment, Zayn was in a trance as he watched the blonde approach him. He was just so beautiful and flawless, so small and perfect, so soft and tempting, and all his. For the time being. He didn't want to raise his hopes too high only to have them crushed. They weren't even meant to be together. Him and the beautiful blonde but that didn't mean he wasn't going to try. 

"What's all this?" The raven haired man asked, leaning down to press a chaste kiss to Niall's pale cheeks that flushed a light shade of pink under the presence of his lips. 

"I wanted to do something special. We haven't even had the chance to sit together and talk in such a long while." The truth in Niall's words did sting, Zayn had to admit that. There was a wall between them and he was scared to even find out which one of them had built it up. Maybe it was him, with his feelings and emotions, unable to keep them in no more, or maybe it was Niall, with his insecurities and self doubts, who couldn't give in to his feelings any more. Whatever it was, it kept them apart, for way too long. 

"You look really happy today." Zayn whispered suddenly, entwining his fingers with Niall's as the blonde led him towards the table, pulling out a chair and sitting the raven haired man down. Zayn chuckled at the attention he was getting but smiled fondly at the smaller boy, soaking in the love Niall was randomly showering upon him. 

"That's because I am." Niall answered back, sitting on the opposite side. He quickly reached for the bowl filled with pasta and served both Zayn and himself, filling the plates up before grabbing the bottle of Pepsi that was on the other side of the table. He wanted to keep the dinner alcohol free, mostly because he didn't drink and Zayn drank too much. So cold drink it had to be. And what's better than Pepsi? 

"Why though?" The older man cocked his head to the side, grabbing a fork while keeping his eyes fixed on Niall as he waited for a response. The blonde was smiling shyly as if he was almost embarrassed to say anything out loud but Zayn knew, that whatever had gotten such a shy and timid creature in such a damn good mood, it had to be something big. 

"I went to meet my mum today." Niall sighed in relief when a moan of approval left Zayn's mouth that was now filled with pasta, however his hazel eyes still had a curious twinge to them. It made him chuckle but nonetheless, he continued. "Somebody sent them that horrid video and my mother was certain that it wasn't me. Greg was already furious and he had to get it checked by his friend who knows a lot about these things. I told them everything and we went down to the station, mum and I while Greg went to see Liam. I don't know what he exactly talked about but I went with the cops to Liam's place and he had a huge swelling on the side of his left cheek. They interrogated him for a while though. I think he told the truth or at least something because my mother was overjoyed and so was my brother."