Chapter Twelve

She felt like she'd hit a brick wall.

She physically stopped moving, all the air in her lungs disappeared with one breath and she felt like crying. All because of the teacher at the front of the room. Oliver wrapped an arm around her waist and forced her onwards.

"What's wrong with you?" he laughed, as she stared ahead.

The young man from her memory now looked tired, his hair was starting to grey and he looked more like his father now than ever before. Instantly she wondered after his mother, the woman she'd briefly called Nana. Oh how she loved Hope Lupin with all of her little heart.

"Welcome Class, I'm the new defence teacher Professor Lupin." He said, sounding just like the memories. "I'm sorry if I don't get your names right, so please write them on the table plan and then we'll start with a bit of who knows what."

Ebony wondered if he'd seen her at all, his eyes always seemed to miss where she was sitting surrounded by the boys. Did he miss her like she'd missed him? The paper came around and she wrote her name beside Oliver's and passed it on. She ignored the boys as she watched him, wanting to see his reaction when he realised she was in his class; hoping that the reaction would be a positive one and not one of horror.

"Right." He laughed, as he was passed the paper back. "The first question; have you learnt about non-verbal spells... Miss... Black."

Ebony smiled at him as he looked over at her. His face hardly moved from its placid teacher smile, but she saw his eyes soften towards her. "Not yet Professor Lupin." She smiled.

"Excellent." He grinned; "We'll make a start on that right now!"

The class ended far sooner than she was expecting, she packed away very slowly hoping he'd come and talk to her and she was not disappointed. Most of the class had left, but Oliver was waiting for her still when he stood before her.

"You look so much like your mother." He stated, opening his arms out.

"Uncle Moony." Ebony laughed, throwing her arms around his neck and squeezing him tightly.

"Now don't go calling me that in class." He laughed, squeezing her back. "My god Ebony; you've grown."

"It has been twelve years." She laughed as she dropped down to her feet. "I wondered if you'd recognise me."

"Well, you were my sidekick for almost a year." He laughed, pinching her cheeks. "I wish I could have looked after you, but it was better you went with the Tonks."

"You look tired." Ebony pouted, "You weren't supposed to age."

"It's not been an easy twelve years." He admitted, looking over her shoulder and seeing Oliver standing and gawking at them. "Why don't you come for tea and some chocolate cake after lessons, we've a lot of catching up to do."

"I've missed you Uncle Moony." She smiled; "I'll see you later."

Oliver threw an arm over her shoulders as they headed towards history of magic. He smirked down at her and waited for a reaction, she didn't hold out long. "What?"

"So you're getting top marks this year." He teased, "Uncle Moony."

"He used to take me on day trips when I was younger, his mum used to plait my hair and make cakes with me." Ebony shrugged, wrapping an arm around Oliver's waist as she turned towards the common room instead. "I can't be bothered with History."

"I'm not complaining." He laughed; "I was going to go sleep anyway."

What felt like a decade later, ebony was running down to the defence classroom eager to spend some time with Moony. As she knocked on the door, Professor Snape pulled it open and looked down at her.

"Oh yes." He sighed; "I'd almost forgotten your affiliation with Black."

"Dude; we're in agreement my Uncle is a dick." She snorted, holding her hands up in defence. "At least you weren't the little girl be abandoned after she'd been orphaned."

"Maybe we should send you to interrogate him when we finally catch him." Snape said, amusement sparking in his eyes though his face stayed sullen. "You could guilt trip him first."

"Come in Eb; I managed to wrangle some cake from the kitchens." Moony smiled, "Thank you Severus; it is greatly appreciated."

Ebony laughed herself at him as soon as Snape shut the door behind him. With a laugh, Remus hugged her back, squashing her cheeks together like he had done when she was little. "What a rare beauty you have turned into."

"Is that because Sirius is such a mutt?" she grinned, sitting down on one of the armchairs as he took another.

"Your mother was a beautiful woman; though I think you surpass her." He smirked; "I'll take that pride on myself as I've known you the longest."

"Fine by me." she laughed, "Sorry about calling you Uncle Moony before Ollie."

"Am I going to have to have words with that boy?" he teased, passing her a mug.

"Oliver is not my boyfriend." She laughed before looking up feeling guilty. She could tell one person surely.

"What is it?" he asked knowingly.

"My boyfriend is a little bit older than me; he's left Hogwarts."

"Ebony." He sighed leaning forwards. "How much older is he?"

"Only three years." She defended. "He promised he'd come and visit, but as of yet I've had nothing but letters."

"What do you want me to say?" he asked gently; "I can only be here for you unless you want me to go and rip his throat out then I'll be over there... where is he?"

"Romania." She mumbled into her mug.

"Ebony?" he asked and she looked up, innocently. "He's not a Weasley is he?"

"How did you work that one out!?" she gaped, and he smirked. "Did you do some digging on Harry?"

"Might have; it's good to know he's surrounded by nice people."

Ebony laughed as he sliced the cake and passed her a big slice followed by a napkin. "I'm not a baby anymore Uncle Moony."

"You still call me Uncle Moony despite it being years; why?"

"Because I love you." She shrugged, "You're a mix between a father and a big brother... I never wanted to leave you or Nana."

Ebony watched as pain flickered over his face. "Did you know?"

"Someone wrote to me; they knew she'd liked Me." she smiled, feeling her chin wobble slightly.

"My mother adored you." He whispered. "I adore you, you're the closest thing to my own child I'll ever get."

"You can still meet someone and have a baby; you're not that old."

"Who could love me?" he laughed bitterly, almost forgetting that Ebony didn't know. "No, I'm happy being Uncle Moony."

"Favourite Uncle Ever." She nodded.

"You're my favourite Black." He smiled, taking a large bite out of his cake. "Good Lord Hogwarts food is good."