Chapter Thirteen

I sat squished onto the settee in front of the fire a few months later, winter had come hard and fast to Hogwarts and I loved it. I pulled the sleeves down over my hands as they shook my book as I tried to read.

"Take one of my bloody jumpers!" Greg shouted as I dug deeper beneath his and Ol's arm to keep warm.

"Add that to your list of men." Marie hissed as she walked past us, I turned around to glare at her. She'd decided that I was some sort of whore a few years ago and ever since she's slowly started to believe her own lie.

"Your owl's at the window." Alex said pointing, "She don't look pleased."

Rach ran over as I pulled myself out of the warmth and towards Noir. "What's this?" I asked as Rach grinned stroking Noir's feathers as she nuzzled her neck.

Eb,

I got a letter from your friend Rach, she says you're constantly cold so here you go.

Love C.

"You sent him a letter?" I asked and she shrugged squashing the package feeling what must be a jumper. "Thank you!"

"I know you Eb, you wanted his jumper not theirs." She whispered as Noir flew to the fireplace to let the frost thaw from her feathers.  "Dear Mystery Man who Eb won't tell me anything about. You're girlfriend is refusing to take warm jumpers, please send her one. Many ta's, Rach; Ebony's best friend in the entire world." She recited grinning.

I laughed as I pulled on the thick woollen jumper, it smelt delicious. Like Charlie but intensified, everything I can remember but more and there was a large singe at the hem, silly man.

"God, that face is sickening." Alex said looking at me, "Like gooey and drunk at the same time."

"Shut up, it's cute!" Rach said slapping his arm and stuffing her face against the jumper. "Oh I see."

"Eb, look at these for me?" Oliver sighed passing me his book to check through. "You warm now?" he asked and I nodded grinning, I was warm physically and my heart was soaring, Charlie sent me his jumper.

---

I'd laughed out loud when I'd gotten the letter from Ebony's friend Rach; I wonder what happened with Marie? She'd stopped hanging around with her as much when I was there, but Eb never even mentions her anymore.

I want to meet your friend Rach, she seems nice.

I can't believe you were that cold and didn't tell me! Hope you enjoyed the jumper, straight off my back, one of my favourites as well, sorry about the burn, I was wrestling with a dragon; to make it sound manly or in other words, I was being chased by one as big as Hagrid's dog.

Send me a pic Eb, I've almost forgotten how pretty you are, in my head your eyes are almost as large as your face and I can't remember what your nose really looks like, I could be making it all up. And if one's not in the envelope with your next letter, I'll send a letter asking for one from your friend Rach, I'm sure she'd oblige.

I grinned as what I'm sure would make her frown. I walked through my small bare house to get a cup of tea and it hit me, I want her here with me. It would make the times when I'm not working at least as fun as when I am; it would make everything better.

The large clock on the mantle chimed midnight, making me jump a little as I nursed my cold tea. Time for bed, wishing I had Ebony's jumper to keep me company like she would have in a few nights time, I threw myself across my rickety bed and let sleep take over.

God's I'm tired.

-

I rolled my shoulders as I fell into one of the two settees in my house; it had been a hard few days with little sleep. If only there was someone else in this house to make me a cup of tea. A tapping sounded at the window and with more energy than felt necessary I turned to see Smokey with a package at the window looking impatient, then Errol flew at the window too, sliding down it a little.

"Evening Gentlemen." I smirked flicking the window open with my wand and letting them inside.

I grinned as Smokey held his leg steady for me to untie the lashings that kept the parcel attached, before stepping aside to let Errol flop down and wait to be relieved of duty. I opened mum's first, a letter complaining about me not being there then about everything else under the sun before telling me what she'd sent me  - ginger cake, my favourite.

"This from Eb?" I asked turning to see where Smokey had gotten to he nodded before closing his eyes and going sleep.

I dropped the cake with the feel of the soft parcel, she'd sent me her scarf and inside folded was a picture of her wrapped up in it grinning.

God she was beautiful, I'd forgotten just how beautiful she was. Forgotten the way her dark hair opposed her pale eyes and skin, the slightly wonky smile she always gave me and the way she smelt, I swear she must have had some kind of fancy shampoo, but she always smelt like apples, not properly like apples but just enough to make you go for another sniff.

Straight off of my neck, keep it safe for me I'll be wanting it back eventually. Your jumper is an apt replacement. I really miss you.

Love Eb.

I watched as the Ebony in the photo blushed and grinned away happily, hiding her face in her scarf every now and then. Why didn't I ask for one sooner? I grabbed a coaster and transfigured it into a frame to slip her into.

Now she'll be the last thing I see when I go sleep and when I wake up.