Secret Admirer [Minishaw]

Start from the beginning

Oh my God, Simon wants to find me, he thought, frozen. 

He liked Harry's notes that much. But it'll ruin everything if Simon learns who he is - at best he'll give Harry a pity date, and at worst he'll laugh in Harry's face once he realises that his secret admirer is actually Harry Lewis, resident nerd and the bottom of the social ladder. He could never let Simon find out that it's him.

"Lewis!" Mr. Newton's voice finally broke through Harry's thoughts, as did the snickers of his fellow classmates. Apparently this wasn't the first time he'd called Harry's name. Harry gave a meek "Here, Sir," and looked down, feeling his cheeks burn scarlet. 

When he managed to look up again, he noticed Simon was turned partway in his seat, giving him a sympathetic-looking smile.

Harry was pretty sure he blushed for the rest of the lesson.

Two weeks later and Harry was pretty sure he'd just developed a permanent blush. Mr. Newton had assigned them partners for a research project, and Harry had ended up being paired with Simon. Of course. 

They'd decided to meet up every other day in the library after school to get the work done, giving Harry more time around Simon than he'd ever gotten to experience before. It had only intensified his crush.

Simon was just so genuinely kind and enthusiastic about their topic, and he didn't make fun of Harry for his rusty social skills and tendency to ramble on about nothing like so many other people in the school did. Instead, Simon would sit there patiently and even respond to some of Harry's points, allowing for actual conversation to spring up. Simon was slowly becoming the first actual friend Harry had had in a while.

As Harry and Simon spent more time together, it influenced his note writing. Now he could tell Simon just how stunning his authentic smiles were and not feel like he was lying. Unfortunately, Simon had also acted on his desire to find out who the note writer was after all, leaving Harry caught in a web of indecision.

Harry probably would've continued keeping mum on the notes had it not been for the conversation he'd overheard Tobi Brown and Jessica Fangs having one day in the corridor.

"I think I'm gonna tell Simon that I'm the one writing those love notes," Jess said, prompting Harry to choke a little on his own spit.

Tobi rolled his eyes. "We've been over this. He's gay," he stated.

"He'd still make a great date," she replied, beaming from ear to ear. "Just think about how popular I'd get if I started dating the football captain."

Harry fixated on that conversation all afternoon. He was still terrified of telling Simon the truth, but he also got disgruntled just thinking about Jessica trying to take credit for his work. She didn't care about Simon, just his social status. Just like he was worried about in class a couple weeks ago, Harry realised. He could tell the note writer cared about him, not his popularity.

Mind made up, Harry headed for the library, hoping Jessica wasn't planning on ambushing Simon the second classes let out. He took a seat at their usual table, trying to focus on his breathing and center himself.

"Hey, Harry," Simon greeted cheerfully, snapping him out of the daze he'd been settling into. "You okay? You look a little apprehensive."

"I, uh, I need to tell you something, Simon," Harry said, closing his eyes tightly. He could definitely get through this if he didn't have to look at Simon. "I know who your mysterious note writer is."

"You do? Oh shit, that's amazing, Harry! I was giving up hope about ever finding out, since it's been so long. Who is it?" Simon's voice sounded overjoyed. Harry hoped he wasn't about to ruin everything.

"Simon. You're perfect. No other words can be used to describe you. Your smile brightens up a room and when you talk to me, I don't want you to stop. You mean so much to me and I hope that I am soon able to tell you that to your face instead of hiding behind these notes. - Your Secret Admirer," Harry recited, flinching away instinctively. He'd burned the text of his first note to Simon into his mind forever, the way he'd agonized over it.

There was a long pause. Harry tentatively opened his eyes and chanced a look at Simon, who looked like he'd been hit over the head with a rock.

"You?" Simon whispered, sound just barely coming out of his mouth.

Harry nodded, still too shy to speak.

Simon surged forward and kissed him, shocking Harry into total paralysis for a moment. Before he could work up the wherewithal to kiss back, Simon pulled away.

"I can't believe it. How lucky am I?" Simon said, eyes tender.

"What?" Harry asked, thinking his brain might have just melted out his ears. Simon thought he was lucky?

"Harry, you have to know I've been flirting with you since we got paired up for this, right?" Simon said, looking serious.

"You... I - flirting?" Harry sputtered.

"Oh my God, you really had no idea," Simon said, stunned. "Harry, you're gorgeous and intelligent and so quietly snarky that I have to spend half of these meetings keeping myself from laughing too loud and getting us kicked out of here. I always thought you were so out of my league."

"You thought you were out of my league?" Harry said. "Simon, you're football captain and friends with practically everyone at this school, while I'm lucky if I go a week without getting beaten up. I thought you'd laugh in my face if I told you I was your secret admirer."

"Never, Harry. Even if I wasn't attracted to you - which I really, really am, don't get me wrong - I'd never laugh at you for having a crush," Simon said sincerely, eyes smoldering.

Harry felt his face flush.

"God, you're stunning," Simon said.

"I could say the same," Harry said breathlessly.

Simon leaned in and kissed Harry again. This time, Harry kissed back, soaking up Simon's affection and trying to convey his own infatuation.

"Harry. Will you be mine?" Simon said once they broke apart, pressing their foreheads together.

"I'd love to," Harry replied, chest heaving.

And as their lips met again in a mesh of hard lines and carelessness, Harry was so thankful that he had plucked up the courage to reveal he was Simon Minter's secret admirer.