Chapter 8: Giving up shields

Hey guys Anne here. This is the continuation of Jace and Clarisse's story after the fight.

--------------

(Clarisse pov)

-2 minutes-

We passed down every hallway, every classroom, every darkness. Sometimes I couldn't help but fall on my knees and cry like a baby. I just couldn't believe I would experience something like that. I could be the toughest girl that ever survived, but this was just too much to handle.

I am so relieved that Jace was there to help and save me from Brad. I don't know what I would experience more, if he hadn't been there.

I totally am regretting I hated Jace the very beginning I saw him. Plus, it is the second time he saved me and I'm grateful for that. I guess its time to let my guard down on hating Jace and start being nice to him.

Each time I fell crying, he didn't scold me or shout at me for being a baby. Instead, he'd kneel in front of me and would pet my hair so gently like he was petting a teddy bear.

"Hey." He'd say "Hang in there. We're almost near the cafeteria. I will be here to protect you, don't be afraid... I'm here."

He would take me up from my chin and lift my face a bit and would stare at my eyes so kindly.

-5 minutes-

So, we reached the cafeteria and found that no one was there, just us... All alone. He pulled a chair and placed my bag, then grabbed another chair and told me to sit down and wait for him, as he went to get the ice cream from the freezer.

Jace came back bringing the Rocky road Ice cream I requested and carrying on other hand, he carried two spoons and bowls. He placed the ice cream down on the table and handed me a spoon and bowl. He was about to sit infront of me, when he moved and decided to sit beside me.

"Why... I just wanna ask." He said "Of all the people that would try hurting you, why would it be Brad?... I mean, I hardly notice you two talk." He actually notices me? Or maybe he just notices us.

I cleared my throat, trying to remove all the tension that was stuck in side.

"Brad has... Been... The one has been stalking me since me and Kathreen arrived here."

"Since you arrived?... That was like 5 months ago!"

"Yeah. He's been stalkin' me ever since."

"Well, that unfortunate for a pretty girl like you."

Say wha-huh?

"I'm... Pretty?"

He choked some ice cream. Probably, he was regretting he said that.

"Hehe... Nuts. I hate rocky road when it comes to nuts." He cleared his throat again.

I don't think those were nuts that was making him choke. The conversation was... Obviously.

"Yeah," he suddenly said "Yeah, your pretty and I have been noticing that since I saved you from the zombie at Central square."

I felt the subject of conversation was being a bit too touchy and more on our feelings... Like really?!!

"Uh... A while you called me your girlfriend? Why?"

He choked again and this time he didn't say 'Nuts... Hehe'.

He straightened himself and fixed his eyes on me. 'His reading me' I thought. I felt butterflies inside my stomach making me feel nervous and anxious to get the conversation over with. Why am I feeling this way?