Chapter Twenty-Four

*Gajeel*

“Argh!” Gajeel groaned, cursing at the pain in his chest.

“Thank goodness!” Wendy was leaning over him, her large eyes staring worriedly into his. “I thought there for a minute I was going to lose you!”

“What the hell--” he cut off, pain erupting throughout his body with the effort of speaking.

“You were stabbed,” Wendy told him, voice sad.

Gajeel was about to question her when he remembered how he had been stabbed. Levy had gotten out of bed, claiming to have to use the restroom. Exhausted, Gajeel fell asleep before she had returned. He awoke again when Lily shouted, and opened his eyes just in time to see Levy plunge Lily's sword into his chest. He saw that her eyes were once again nearly all pupil, so he knew immediately that Himiko had been controlling her.

As Wendy continued to heal him, Gajeel sighed, wondering how he wasn't dead. She was actually trying to kill me! And that devil-woman was going to use Levy to do it! The next time I see Himiko, I'll have her head for this.

“I'm going to heal Lily and then head to the guildhall to help the others.” When Gajeel was as healed as he could be with the use of Wendy's magic, she stood, looking incredibly weak.

“What's going on at the guildhall?” Gajeel examined his wound. It still hurt like hell, but it was barable.

“Elite Helix made their move tonight.” At her words, his head snapped up. “All of the dragon slayers were attacked earlier, along with Erza. Luckily Erza, Natsu, Gray, Happy, Charle, and I were all at Lucy's house. We defeated our attackers quickly and separated to round up the rest of the guild members. It's lucky that I volunteered to come get you and Levy! If not, I think you might have died.”

Gajeel couldn't argue with her there. By the looks of the blood soaking his bed and body, he was in bad shape when she had found him. His mind was also reeling, wondering where Levy could be.

“You heal up Lily, I'm going on ahead,” Gajeel finally said, forcing himself off the floor.

“You shouldn't be moving around!” Wendy protested, grabbing onto his arm. “I managed to close up the wound and partially heal you, but you lost a lot of blood and are in no condition to fight!”

“If Levy's there, I can't just sit here and do nothing,” Gajeel growled, shaking her off. “Besides, I have a debt to pay back that devil-woman. Gihihi.” His devilish grin convinced Wendy to release him, nodding her head.

As soon as her hands were off him, he was out the door, running towards the guildhall. His chest throbbed in defiance, but he ignored it. His need to save Levy was stronger than that of the wound's pain. Gajeel threw open the guildhall's doors, revealing a full-on battle between the two guilds. He scanned the area quickly, searching for signs of Levy. He saw her collapsed on the floor, eyelids drooping as she passed out. Ignorant of the world around him, he started towards her, wanting to make sure she was alright.

Himiko was suddenly standing between him and Levy, smiling darkly. “I'm surprised you're still alive. It's sad though, that you're still too late to save her. I'd say that by daybreak she'll be dead.” Himiko actually laughed when Gajeel cursed at her.

Gajeel could feel his fury building, releasing it in an Iron Dragon's Roar that blew through the wall of the guildhall. Himiko was thrown back, but didn't seem to take much damage. Smirk erased from her face, Himiko moved her hands in a circular motion, disappearing for a fraction of a second and reappearing directly in front of him. Her foot met the scar on his chest, sending him to the ground.

“Damn it!” Gajeel spat blood onto the floor, grimacing from the pain.

“In your shape, you might as well give up. I might even kill you quickly and let you join that little fairy of yours.” She laughed when Gajeel struck out at her.

Knowing he couldn't take another hit like that, Gajeel used his magic to cover his entire body in iron, dragon-like scales. It used more energy, so he would have to end things with Himiko quickly. They exchanged blows for what felt like hours, but Gajeel knew was only a few minutes. He did all he could to dodge her attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere.

How do I stop her from doing that disappearing thing? It has to be some kind of spell! He then remembered the circular hand motion she made right before she disappeared each time. That's it! When he next attacked, Gajeel aimed for her arm. Himiko didn't expect that, and was unable to dodge his kick. He felt the bone snap and knew immediately he had succeeded by her cry of outrage.

“Damn you!” She snarled, cradling her limp arm to her chest. “Don't think that because you have gained an advantage here that the girl can be saved! Even if I am defeated, that girl will die!”

Gajeel punched her. When she fell, he pinned her down, casting Iron Dragon's Sword and holding the sword-arm to her throat. “Where is that item-thing you're using to control Levy?”

Himiko laughed. “I'm the item. Master Hano fused it into my stomach years ago, so there's no way you can destroy it. My soul died long ago, making me a mere puppet in the Master's plan, so I know only what I need to.”

“Then how do I stop it?”

“The gas has already been in her bloodstream for a month, so there's nothing you can do now but watch her die.”

“What about an antidote?” This question elicited another laugh from Himiko. “You're desperate, aren't you, dragon slayer? How does it feel, only being able to watch helplessly as the one you love dies?”

Gajeel pulled his arm back, thrusting it down with such force that it went all the way through her stomach, and impaled the floor below her. She screamed as the item broke and blood began to pool around them. “How do I save Levy?” He shouted, wrenching his arm from her gut as it changed back to normal.

“You don't.” The wicked grin stayed on her face, even when her body grew limp and began turning to dust. With a final scream, Himiko's body disappeared completely.

Gajeel stood and wiped his bloodied arm on his pants. “Hano's turn.”

That's the end of chapter 24!! Only about 2 or 3 chapters left until the end! :O Thanks so much for reading the story thus far, and I hope you've enjoyed it! I'd love to hear your comments/feedback/suggestions! ^_^ Thanks again! :D