Chapter Sixteen

*Gajeel*

Gajeel had heard Levy shout from somewhere in the forest, immediately telling him that she had somehow sneaked past them and was running away. Not wanting any of the other guild members to interfere, Gajeel separated himself from them unnoticed. He was annoyed that Levy had pushed him away a few minutes before, but that was quickly replaced with worry at the thought of her on her own while she was upset.

When he found Levy, she was sitting against a tree, crying alone again. Damn it! Why does she always run off when she's upset? I wish she would come to me to comfort her. Gajeel frowned at the thought. Why should she come to him for comfort? It's not like they were anything but guild mates. Why did he think she would run to him when something bothered her? And, why did he want her to? Just making himself more angry by thinking about it, Gajeel shook the thoughts from his mind, and sat on the ground next to Levy.

She didn't seem to notice him, so he put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her against his side. She gave a little squeak in surprise, but didn't fight him. He could tell the the medicine Porlyusica had given her was starting to work because Levy looked tired. Though, that could have been from all of the crying she had been doing in the last few days.

“You shouldn't cry alone,” Gajeel told her, as gently as he knew how to. “Come to me when you're upset about something.”

Levy looked up at him. Her face was still wet with tears, but she had thankfully stopped crying. They stayed like that for a few moments before Levy suddenly pushed him away, struggling to her feet. “No!” She shot, stepping away from him when he stood. “I don't need you to comfort me!”

He was shocked by her outburst. Well, I definitely wasn't expecting that reaction from her. “I'm just trying to help--”

“Don't,” Levy snapped. Although she acted like she was angry, her tone and eyes were sad, confusing Gajeel even more than her outburst. “Why do you always seem to be there whenever I'm in trouble?”

“Because I told you I would protect you!” Gajeel snapped back. Getting angry was his only defense, even though he knew he would only make things worse. Why is she so angry? Just a few minutes ago at Porlyusica's she was fine with me comforting her.

“I don't want you to protect me! Why couldn't you just leave me alone out here?” More tears brightened her eyes, but he could see her determination not to shed them. Even though the medicine was making her sluggish, Levy stood her ground.

“Because I get restless whenever you're away from me!” He frowned, embarrassed, when she said nothing and just stared at him. When she sank to the ground, covering her face, Gajeel wanted to kick himself. Damn it! I should just keep my mouth shut! He didn't know why, but his words had seemed to upset her more. I'm supposed to be making her feel better, not making her cry again! Why did I even say that?

*Levy*

“Because I get restless whenever you're away from me!” Levy couldn't say anything. Although she should have been thrilled by Gajeel's semi-confession, she was terrified by it. She knew that Himiko and Hano could hear everything he said, and would only use his words to make her hurt him. She returned to her spot on the ground, once again covering her face so that Gajeel couldn't see it. They stayed like that for several long minutes, neither one of them breaking the tense, awkward silence between them.

Levy wanted nothing more than to take that opportunity and confess everything to Gajeel—about Himiko and Hano, the awful memories she had gotten back, and even her feelings for him—but she knew she couldn't. If she pushed him away instead, Himiko couldn't hurt him. Although her chest ached, she knew what she had to do.

Taking a deep breath in an attempt to clear her head of the fog caused by Porlyusica's medicine, Levy stood. She wiped her face, and turned her mouth down in a frown. “I'm not your property, Gajeel. There's no reason at all for me to come to you for anything.” She tried to say it with the meanest tone she could manage. “I came out here to be alone. Obviously that meant I didn't want you here.” It was out of her character to be mean, but she had to try to push him away.

“I just thought--”

“You didn't think!” Levy shouted at him. “You never think, because you're an idiot! Just leave me alone!” Unable to face him after saying such hurtful things, Levy pushed passed him, heading back towards Porlyusica's. She would be angry with her for leaving, but Levy didn't care.

He didn't come after me. Levy thought as she climbed back in through the window. She fell onto the bed, unable to shed anymore tears. At least he'll be safe now.

That's the end of 16! Chapter 17 wil be posted soon! What did you think? I don't like it when Levy is mean. >.<