Chapter Ten

“Hano Umashita?!” Levy couldn't believe her eyes. The old man who had hired her and the others looked completely different dressed in casual clothes than he did in a suit. “I thought Elite Helix was an all-female guild?”

“That's just how the spell works. Some of the members who joined willingly are male, so that isn't necessarily true.” Hano smiled, coming closer to her. “You don't seem very afraid, despite the situation you're in.”

“I'm not afraid of you,” Levy smirked, confidently. “Gajeel will come for me, so I just need to wait.”

“That fool?” Himiko laughed. “He ran from the guild, leaving you here alone.”

“He'll be back.” Levy didn't believe what Himiko said. He wouldn't leave me here. I'm sure he's on his way to wherever we are right now!

Hano chuckled at Levy's response, surprising her. “I see,” he said, thoughtfully. “We'll be able to use that.”

“What are you--”

“Tell me,” Hano interrupted, “how long have you held feelings for the dragon slayer?”

Despite her situation, Levy still managed to blush. “Th-that's ridiculous.” If they know, they'll use him. I can't put Gajeel in danger! “How is it that you can control women?” Levy shot the question at him, not giving him the chance to respond to her earlier denial.

“Himiko has this wonderful gift that works a lot like hypnosis. She makes you breathe in gas from a special device which weakens your resistance, and I create a mental link with you in order to control your actions and implant thoughts into your head. Levy instantly thought of Meredy and her link magic. “My magic, however, is a form of lost magic, and is much more powerful than anything you may have encountered. Whereas some can link with and feel the pain of others, mine is a one-way link that I can use to tap into your head, making you do as I wish.”

“W-why would you want to do that?”

“Power. I have spies in over twenty different guilds, providing me with limitless information. I have secrets about each guild, and when the time comes, I plan to strike them all down. Then, Elite Helix will be on top!” Hano looked proud of himself, but Levy could only feel disgust.

“Magic isn't supposed to be used like that! You're supposed to help people, not manipulate them into hurting their friends!”

“Shut up!” Himiko snapped, slapping Levy to silence her. “Master Hano is doing this in order to advance the magical world! The weak guilds will be destroyed, and only the most worthy—those who are powerful—shall remain.”

“You can't do that! What gives you the right to decide?”

“You shouldn't try to make me the evil one, little girl, when you are just about to help me.” Hano's wicked grin nearly brought tears to her eyes. No! I won't help them do this!

“Himiko, finish the spell,” Hano said, going to the chair behind his desk and taking a seat.

“No!” Levy screamed when Himiko placed her hand over her face. The air began to move in a circle around them.

“Levy McGarden,” Himiko began, “you will pledge your loyalty to Master Hano, and do as he wishes. Your mind shall be linked with his, and you shall openly accept him.”

“I... won't!” Levy's head felt as though Himiko was ripping it apart. Her eyes swam with tears she refused to shed, and she held in a scream that threatened to escape.

“Stop fighting!” Himiko placed her other hand on the side of Levy's head, pressing her finders against Levy's temple.

“Stop!” Levy screamed, pain exploding inside of her skull. “Let me in, little fairy!” Himiko's voice rang in her ears, becoming the only thing she could hear. Levy's strength gave out as she slumped against the back of the chair breathing hard.