Chapter One

Levy sighed heavily, falling backwards onto the grass. She had been watching Gajeel from across the guild's yard hoping that, maybe by some small chance, their eyes might meet. I just don't understand him! She thought, frustrated. He had helped her out so many times, yet he wouldn't talk to her outside of a job.

“Hey Lily,” Levy smiled, noticing the exceed as he took a seat next to where she lay on the grass. “How's work? Find any jobs yet?”

“Gajeel is taking a break today,” he said. The way his ears twitched as he spoke made Levy want to touch them, but she resisted, returning her eyes to Gajeel.

“Would you like to come with us on a job tomorrow?” Panther Lily's question caught her off guard.

“Me?” She asked, stupidly, staring at Lily.

“Of course.”

“Well... I...” Levy sat up, glancing in Gajeel's direction, “I don't know...”

“Droy and Jet are out of town, are they not?”

“Yes,” she answered, nodding.

“Then you are without a team until they get back, which also means you can't take any big jobs.”

“I suppose,” she said, slowly.

“I wouldn't mind if you joined Gajeel and me until your teammates return,” Lily smiled kindly at her.

“That's ok... really...” Levy began, shaking her head.

“Why are you slacking over here with the shrimp?” Gajeel asked, squatting in front of Levy and Lily to frown at them.

“I was asking Levy if she wanted to come with us tomorrow--”

“We don't need any help,” Gajeel said, standing and beginning to walk away.

“With Jet and Droy gone, Levy is unable to find many suitable jobs,” Lily told him.

“So?” Gajeel continued walking.

“Lily, really, I'm fine,” Levy said, smiling at the Exceed. “It's only three days. Besides,” she looked at Gajeel, “I'd only be in the way.”

“Your skills would be useful on this job,” Lily frowned. “I'll talk to Gajeel about bringing you along.”

As Levy opened her mouth to object again, Lily took off after Gajeel, leaving her alone on the ground. She sighed once again, staring at the guildhall doors where Gajeel had disappeared inside.

“Levy-chan!” Lucy shouted, waving. “Why are you sitting outside all alone?” Lucy sat next to her, smiling.

“Just enjoying the warm weather,” Levy lied, smiling at her best friend.

Lucy raised an eyebrow, smiling knowingly. “Was that Gajeel I just passed on my way out?”

“Yes,” Levy said immediately, without thinking. She inwardly kicked herself when Lucy chuckled. “Why not just ask him to tag along for a few days? It's written all over your face that you want to.”

“It—it is not!” Levy stammered, defensively. She could feel her cheeks growing hotter as Lucy continued to smirk at her. Sighing, she gave up, resting her chin on her knees. “Lu-chan, he would only notice me if I somehow got really strong and could spar with him like Natsu or Erza.”

“Or you could just ask to join his team,” Lucy said, matter-of-factually. “It's just a job—it's not like you're asking him to marry you.”

“L-L-Lu-chan!” Levy exclaimed, her face turning scarlet.

Lucy laughed. “I was just kidding! Honestly, he wouldn't turn you down if you asked to go with him on a job.”

Levy shook her head, returning her chin to her knees, “I'd only get in his way.”

“Le--”

“Lucy, come on!” Natsu called, exiting the guild hall. “We're going to miss the train!” He sprinted passed them, rushing towards the Magnolia train station with Happy, Gray, and Erza not far behind.

“You can come with us if you want.” Lucy told her as she stood and wiped grass off of her behind.

Levy shook her head. “You go, Lu-chan, I'll be fine.” She smiled at her friend, waving goodbye as she watched Lucy leave. Yawning, Levy decided to head home for the rest of the afternoon. Maybe finishing a good book will keep me occupied until Jet and Droy return. 

Thanks for reading chapter one! :D If you found any gramatical/spelling errors, please comment with the correction (I double-check these, but an extra set of eyes is the best for finding errors). Also, if you have any other comments/suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thank you! <3