fifteen- This Is It

Start from the beginning

As Mico stared down at the rings he began to look closely at each one. He knew Ro would want something little and she wouldn’t want him to spend a lot of money. One ring caught his eye, and the more that he looked at it, Mico found he couldn’t look away from it.

“See something you like?” Kyle asked, and Mico gestured to the ring.

“May I see that one?” He asked, and held out his hand as Kyle took it out of the case. The diamond was square cut, it was set low, and the silver band it rested on was slim. There were no special markings; it was just a diamond on a ring. He had a feeling that she’d love it.

“How much is this one? It’s perfect.” Mico asked, not worried about Kyle’s answer. He had a feeling something so simple wouldn’t make him spend the rest of his savings.

“It will end up being around $7,000.” Mico bit his tongue and smiled; he’d live with it. Rosalina might throw a fit but Mico was willing to give her the world.

Mico walked out of the store with that ring. Today was a big day.

Rosalina was talking to Carlie as she cooked the girls their breakfast. She was moving the bacon around on the skillet as they played a video game in the living room.

“Where the hell is he?” Ro asked Carlie, who shrugged.

“He left ridiculously early and said he’d be back in time to graduate. He’s cutting it kind of close.” Carlie told her and Rosalina rolled her eyes in response. They had to leave at noon, and it was 11:20 AM. All of the women had been ready by eleven.

Sam was wearing a nice top tucked into a pencil skirt with her hair straightened and her make-up done. Danielle wore dress pants and a nice shirt. Rosalina and Carlie had opted to wear dresses. Ro’s blue and white summer dress swayed in the wind when she walked. Carlie’s tight red dress made her look too young to be the mother of a graduating senior.

At last Mico’s car pulled into the driveway and Ro sighed in relief. When he walked in the door and saw her, he couldn’t help but smile.

“Told you I’d be back in time,” he gloated, getting out the ingredients to make a bagel. He toasted and buttered it in time for Rosalina to be done with the bacon and eggs. He took some and made a sandwich before handing it to Ro.

“Sit down and eat breakfast.” He commanded and she gave him a dirty look. Carlie laughed and called the girls to breakfast, making their own plates.

Ro ate the sandwich rather quickly because it tasted so good. Mico made her another one when she curiously complained that she was still hungry. After two sandwiches she was stuffed. The girls finished their breakfasts and Andy emerged out of nowhere, at the last second, ready to go.

The drive to the school was short, and Mico gave his family kisses good bye before going to check in. Ro was proud of him, and she couldn’t stop smiling. Her stomach started to hurt, she presumed from the grease, but she tried not to think about it as she talked to his family before the ceremony started.

The school’s choir sang a song to begin the graduation. The principle had a speech, as well as a few other staff members. Their school had given up on valedictorians long before this year. The choir sang a few more songs to break it up a little, but once the diplomas were started, everyone was antsy.

The first few people were glad that they were called first to get it over with, but after that they had to sit through two hours of name calling. The people in the middle didn’t have much choice but to wait for a thirty-second walk across the stage to receive their diplomas.

Mico was in the middle. As his name was called, his family cheered loudly, and Ro clapped with a huge grin on her face. She shouted for him and Sam and Danielle shoved her for being so loud. He didn’t smile, but Ro knew he’d heard her.