Chapter 9, Meet The Parents

Start from the beginning

His father held out his hand to me, a wide smile on his face; ‘it’s nice to finally meet you Vera’.

Taking his hand in mine, I could already feel the vibe of approval coming from his father even though I hadn’t opened my mouth yet.

‘You have the strength of a Beta’s daughter Vera, what pack did you come from’?

My eyes betraying me, showing the shock evident in my mind; I could even feel Cody tightening his grasp around me, knowing how much of a sensitive topic this was.

Swallowing my shock, I managed to choke out words; coming out more relaxed than I expected:

‘I’m from the Crescent Pack’.

Cody’s father nodded, this wasn’t new information to him so I didn’t see why he was even asking but the fact he knew I was a Beta’s daughter was a little daunting.

‘You are lucky to survive the culling of your pack, you should know from the sense of authority that beams from your figure that it is fairly obvious you are either born from an Alpha or Beta’.

Cody had never said anything about this, but now his father mentioned it; I imagined he would have felt the authority as soon as he came across me the first day we met.

‘How rude of me to not introduce myself; my name is Burt and this is my mate, Helen’.

Shaking hands with Helen also, her gentle voice softened my expression, making me wish I could hear my own mother speak with such pride; ‘you are so beautiful dear, you will make a great Luna for our pack’.

Burt now chose to continue his little conversation he had going about my family, making me want to turn and run before he could figure everything out.

‘I am told you have a white wolf also, that is rare for these parts but in your pack; it was like having brunette hair; common and a sign of royalty’.

Burt’s rambling continued, his curiosity I was noticing obviously making him blurt out every question or fact he knew about me.

‘I envy your fighting ability, one day we will have to have a little duel and maybe you could show me a thing or two’.

Still shocked to hear such kind but curious words coming from Burt’s mouth; I really was hoping this conversation would end soon, bragging about my fighting ability was not something I did as I saw being able to defend myself as necessary to survive.

‘I may have picked up a thing or two over the last few years……..’

Helen nodded in agreement, obviously having some idea of what I was talking about.

‘Well I guess we’ve held you up long enough dear; it was nice to see you again Cody, enjoy the rest of your day’.

As Cody’s parents turned to walk away, I felt as my muscles physically relaxed, feeling like I had just dodged a bullet.

‘You did good Vera’.

Looking up at Cody, he seemed more at ease than he had been in the past few days, knowing I couldn’t blatantly disrespect him in front of his pack.

‘Your Dad’s creepy; he knows everything about me without me even opening my mouth’.

‘Like I said he’s a historian, studies the history of different packs; since your pack was shut down a couple of years ago, it’s now history to him.  Although I can honestly say I am curious as to why your pack is the only one with white wolves’.

Great so Cody was going to support his Dad’s crazy theories behind my back with me just being expected to sit there and listen.

‘Just what I want to know………….’