Chapter Twenty-Four

Max was running out of breath, his skinny legs burning from running so quickly and so far. His eyes kept focus on the direction leading to the pond, stumbling a few times. Max stumbled once that he had to push himself up to his feet again. But he didn't look back, just as his aunt told him not to.

Only... he halted when he recognized his aunt's scream.

Max turned around scanning the field, still able to feel the heat from the fire even at the far distance it was. His brown eyes fell on two shadowy figures near his burning home rolling around. He heard one of them scream and Max's heart dropped, recognizing his aunt.

He stepped a few paces forward, but his feet rooted to the ground. His aunt told him to keep running. To not look back. But Max broke one rule, and was debating of whether or not to break the other. His aunt was in trouble, but even the ten year old knew he'd be no use.

He'd been told to run for a reason.

Max wasn't going to go back, but he wasn't able to leave again either. His aunt was his biggest worry, looking around for someone to help her. He swallowed, frowning and wishing Chambers would show up to help her. She needed someone to save her. He then heard a woman scream but it wasn't his aunt.

Max blinked at another figure that came rushing over from the trees and tackled one of the shadowy figures off the other. The ten year old stepped forward, mouth parted and eyes widened when a large man picked up his aunt and was hurting her.

The boy's bottom lip trembled hearing his aunt screaming again.

He whimpered, tears falling, "Auntie..."

His body froze, scared at not seeing his aunt move when the bad man dropped her and was now going after the lady that helped his aunt. Max's eyes widened, stepping back at the scary roar and truck that crashed through the fence and into the bad man.

Max yelped when he was suddenly lifted off the ground, but relaxed when he recognized the deep, calming voice telling Max that he was going to be okay. He wrapped his arms around Nathan's neck, squeezing his eyes shut when told to do so.

Nathan had ran across the field when he caught sight of the blonde boy standing all by himself and crying. He didn't stop his run as he bent to scoop Max into his arms. He looked over at the truck and halted when he saw the familiar platinum blonde man helping Sophie up to her feet then both rushed over to Jennings.

The father let out a relieved breath of air seeing Sam shouting for Mikey as they were going back to the truck. He turned, resuming his run around the fence and towards the front of the house. Nathan saw the Sedan that was abandoned by Mikey. He stooped low to keep hidden behind the fence and the darkness on this side of the field, making his way to the car.

Opening the back door, Nathan sat Max down and started telling Max that he was going to be driving really fast.

"I'm going to need you to keep your seat belt on and hold on tight."

Nathan nodded, "Can you do that for me, Max?"

The blonde boy sniffled, nodding as he frowned; trying to put on the bravest face he could. He stared at the man whose eyes kept looking around cautiously as Nathan was securing Max in the seat. Nathan nodded again, brushing his hand back over the kid's head.

"You are doing so good, Max. We are going to get out of here soon."

He gave the boy a smile to which he received one back before pulling himself out of the backseat. He didn't get a chance to close the door but was instead knocked against it. Max gasped, leaning back into his seat as Nathan groaned, trying to wrestle off Mateo who had somehow seen them.