Chapter Twenty-Three

"Where's Jennings?!"

Carter and Nathan frowned looking around the group who were staring back at the two men blankly. They informed them that Jennings hadn't returned, but they all gasped, turning around when they heard two gunshots. Peering from behind where they hid, the USWAT leader could see Wes staring down at two people in front of him---he wasn't sure who they were, but his eyes turned away catching sight of Elena running down the field.

A few yards ahead of her was Jennings carrying her screaming nephew. The team leader felt hopeless when he saw Elena throw something that made his partner fall. She then stared at her nephew for so long until the boy started running.

Carter's heart sunk hearing Jennings shout, "I'm right behind you, Max! Keep running!" yet she remained where she was, hunched over until the blonde turned and started fighting with Elena.

He turned around and shook his head, pressing his fingers to his mic, "Mikey! Where the hell are you?!"

Carter silently motioned to Nathan to gather the group into two so they could try and fit everyone into the vehicle as much as they could. He was still trying to get in contact with his team member when Nathan walked over and told him that they weren't all going to fit in the Sedan.

"We need another vehicle, Carter."

He frowned, looking over his shoulder to recount the people in the group, just in case. With the Sedan they'd only fit about five people. There were ten of them. Nathan and Carter looked out to the field and both frowned seeing Jennings still fighting with Elena. As much as they'd wanted to help her, they couldn't do so without giving their position away which would make it difficult to escape with Chambers.

Carter huffed, cursing when Mikey wouldn't respond. He was worried that Mikey was taking too long to get to them. They were going to have to run across the field; with Nathan, himself, and Sophie being the ones to fight off Wes and Vesile while making sure the whole group made it across.

When he reiterated his thoughts, Carter looked to Nathan with a raised brow.

"There's no other way, Nate. You know it."

Nathan swallowed, glancing at his wife, daughter, and brother. He sighed, his heart pounding wildly at Carter's words being true. If they didn't get out now... they most likely wouldn't. And he was not going to lose his family, no way in hell was he going to lose them.

The father nodded silently in agreement to Carter, who turned to the group and began instructing them of what they were going to do. The team leader was pointing out to the side of the property that was fire-and-Wes free, when a voice in the back of the group interrupted him.

"What about Max?"

They turned around to see Chambers raising his brows. He glanced at the faces staring at him and he raised a brow, "I'm serious... what about Max?"

Carter remained silent, thinking of the right words to say before holding up his hand and calmly replied that their chances of survival was dependent on the group right now. Not Max.

Chambers' eyes widened under his furrowed brows, and raised his voice when he shot back, "He's just a kid, Carter!"

"Yes. I know, Chambers."

Carter narrowed his eyes and pointed at the student, reminding him who the target was, and who it was that the USWAT leader and his team needed to get out.

"That's ridiculous! You are going to leave a ten year old boy on his own... because Iiiiii need to be kept safe?!"

Chambers scoffed, reeling his head back as he narrowed his eyes back at the leader of the underground team. He looked to his brother, his tone turning pleading when Chambers leaned his head to the side, "Nate... Nate, tell him! Tell him that we can't leave Max on his own!"