Chapter Ten

Sam grinned, standing up from after one of the Italian twins had knocked him down as he fled, and turned his head to his team commander.

"Well that went..." he glanced upward and cheekily chuckled, "Well."

Carter lowered a brow, narrowing his eyes over at the platinum blonde.

Despite how much older looking he was now, Sam was still the little shit teenager deep, deep, deep, deep down inside. It was always fun and games with this chump, and Carter or Jennings were usually having to give the twenty-four year old an earful. Only their scoldings always fell on deaf ears.

Bending over to pick up his pistol and placed it back into its holster at his hip, Carter lowered a brow, speaking to Sam with a droll tone.

"Explain how letting Wes and the others getting away... is well?" He straightened, placing his hands on his hips and frowning at the blonde.

Sam was still grinning over at the man. He stood with a wide-legged stance, and his arms crossed over his chest. He stared at Carter for a good minute before leaning his upper body forward and cheekily responded, "We're alive."

Carter snorted, shaking his head at Sam's stupid response, and turned away to Jennings and Mikey who returned from the large hole in the wall. He inquired about the hostages and felt relief when his team members confirmed that they were all safe.

Mikey, a rather abnormally short man, but extremely muscular, stepped forward. He cocked a brow upward and nodded, without turning, to the side where there were three of the hostages remaining.

"These four decided to stay behind."

The agent turned to look at the group just as Carter did the same. The USWAT leader took in the two males and two females that were standing close together looking back at Carter with wide eyes. He stepped closer to them and recognized Ethan Cunningham, their assignment. He nodded briefly to the group and asked them of their names.

The first to step forward was a lanky fellow with dark hair. Carter quickly assessed that this man was a student by how young he appeared and the way he was dressed so casually for anyone over thirty.

"I'm Sid," the student spoke, turning to point out the others behind him. He pointed to the small brunette he was standing next to.

"This is Nia," then the blonde, "Kitty," and then lastly to Ethan while shrugging a shoulder. "You already know Ethan apparently..."

Carter nodded to the girls, giving them a small smile before nodding that he did know Ethan. He looked at Sid after glancing at the red head who was looking rather pale and trembling with his eyes wide.

"And why did you four decide to stay behind, if I may ask, Sid?"

Sid nodded, frowning that they were friends of Chambers and didn't want to leave him alone.

Carter raised a brow and nodded without a word. He turned to Mikey and quietly asked him to watch the four and get them each a bottle of water to calm their nerves. Mikey nodded obediently, spinning on his heel through the hole to retrieve what he was asked of.

"Wait here," Carter told the four who opened their mouths to speak but the USWAT leader shook his head, holding up a hand to keep them all from protesting.

"I need to check on Chambers, and need for you four to stay put. You all went through a shock and need to be hydrated before we move on to anything else."