Chapter Nine

Wes turned his eyes to the corners to raise a brow, still grinning at the glaring look he was receiving. It was flooding him with a long forgotten emotion as he raised his brows, tilting his head to the side, "Now why don't you put your gun down, Soph, before you hurt yourself?"

"Fuck you, Wes."

The man smirked, nodding, and then pulled the corners of his mouth downward, raising his brows. He spoke nonchalantly---as though a gun barrel wasn't teasing his temple to put a bullet through it.

"Thought I'd try..."

Wes winced at the barrel against his head pressing more into it. His jaw tightened as did his grip on his own gun, but knew better than to move just yet. Wes glanced once again to the side at a pair of gray eyes, darkening with anger, from the side. He grinned between another grimace of the barrel's pressure, asking for her to not play so rough.

"It's been a few years, Sophie my darling, so you'll have to be gentle with me," he jested.

All too soon came the sneering when Sophie ordered for Wes to drop his weapon and take a step back. He narrowed his eyes glancing in Sam's direction who was smirking, knowingly, with a raised brow.

The USWAT agent added to Sophie's order, nodding, "You know how this works, Wesley. You step off while we save the day... again."

But Wes' eyes left Sam and now stared straight ahead; the grip on his gun holding strong while the gun failed to lose its aim at the chest in front of it behind the desk.

When the brunette beside him growled her order once more, Wes chuckled, his eyes twinkling with his words, "I would... really. But you see, Sophie darling," he glanced at her just in time to see her gray eyes narrow into slits.

"I just can't. I happen to be on a mission and this time... I'm seeing it through. I am in desperate assistance of a particular student's set of technical skills, who was mistakenly overlooked to be the most brilliant student throughout the entire country."

He shrugged a shoulder, still as though the gun wasn't there, and had now turned his head to have the barrel's end staring him between the eyes. Wes blinked hard at Sophie telling her that without the student, he and his team would not be able to get what was rightfully owed to them.

"Now that you see my dilemma, I simply"Wes scrunched his face shaking his head briefly when he said, "can't let this one walk. So sorry."

He sniffed, pursing his lips and sticking up his chin and a brow.

"I'm not asking," Sophie emphasized, pushing the barrel more against his face. She took a step back, narrowing her eyes when Wes purposely pressed against the gun and grinned back at her. Sophie's jaw skewed to the side at the teasing look she was receiving from Wes; that look that was all too familiar of thinking he'd call her bluff.

"Drop... the gun, Wes," she kept her eyes on him, her chest heaving with the irritable anger climbing up. This man knew how to push her buttons and he knew it, too, with the way he was knowingly narrowing his eyes, with that brow of his quirked up.

Through her peripheral vision behind Wes, Sophie saw an also too familiar strawberry blonde shift her stance. Her eyes flicked over to Elena, who was narrowing her eyes and smirking as she lifted her chin and a brow. The tone she spoke her greeting was nowhere near friendly.

"Sophia."

Sophie narrowed her gray eyes, her lip curling as she nodded to the side, "Elena."