Chapter 58

Luke's Point of view

The following days seemed to pass quickly, and before long it was the day of the capture the flag game against the hunters and romans. It was hard to say who would have the advantage, there were a lot of different cabins here at camp, but not all of them had occupants. The hunters and Romans seemed to have large numbers as well though.

It seemed that the hunters were best with bows or hunting knives, but some of them could use other weapons as well. The Romans seemed to focus on using spears or swords while only a few used bows. I really couldn't guess who would win.

After dinner we prepared for the game, donning our armor and weapons. We entered the woods, and the Athena campers talked strategy. After they had made up their minds we all went to the positions we would be in, or for those who would be going after the other teams' flags, the positions they would start from.

I think it took them a while to decide what I should do, since I suppose I could be helpful in just about any position. Thinking back on it, I would have been helpful guarding the creek due to my water powers, or with my good swordsmanship, and time powers I would have been a pretty good choice to guard the flag. But for whatever reason they put me on offense along with some other campers.

When the conch horn blew we ran off. Some of us went looking for the Hunters' flag while the rest looked for the romans'. On our way through the woods my group encountered some Romans and hunters that must have been trying to get to our flag, we fought them off, but a couple members of our group were defeated. The rest of us continued on to find the hunters' flag. We fought off any romans and or hunters that we encountered along the way until several silver arrows came flying at us from the trees ahead of us.

"I guess we found them." Adam, a son of Eros, said.

"No Styx Sherlock." Jonathan, a son of nemesis, said.

While those two were talking I stopped the arrows from impaling them using my time powers, I even managed to stop the trick arrows. Due to my powers no arrows hit us, and we kept moving forward. Once the hunters realized that their arrows weren't working they came down from the trees and faced us with their hunting knives, or in the case of some hunters, other close range weapons.

They came at us, trying to prevent us from getting to their flag, which I guessed wasn't far away. Although she was a tough opponent, I managed to defeat the hunter that had come at me, and I continued on. A couple other members of our group managed to do the same. We continued on, and before long we found the hunters' flag. It was being guarded by four hunters, including the hunters' lieutenant Thalia.

I knew from what my dad had told me about his past, that she was a friend of his, I also knew that she would be a tough opponent if I ended up fighting her. The other three hunters came at us first, I guess they didn't bother trying to use their bows, because they were probably hoping they could keep us distracted long enough for one of the other hunters to get our flag. I fought one of the hunters, sword and shield against hunting knives. For the moment all I heard were the sounds of weapons clashing.

My mind went on autopilot, as I blocked the hunter's blows. You might think that I had the advantage since I had the longer weapon, but despite that the hunter I was facing was quite skilled with her knives. Eventually though I managed to knock one of her knives away, and not long afterward I knocked away the other one. After I defeated her everyone else that had come with me was still fighting. I headed toward Thalia, I could distract her if nothing else.

While I was still far enough away from her she tried firing arrows at me, but just like the previous ones I used my time powers to stop them. I continued toward her, even if I couldn't beat her and take the flag, I could probably distract her long enough for one of the other members of our group to get it.