Chapter 38

Percy's point of view

When Kronos threatened Luke and basically everyone else I care about he crossed a line, I shoved every thought to the back of my mind, the memories that had resurfaced when he had brought up Tartarus, along with every other thought were shoved to the back of my mind until the only thing on my mind was making sure that Kronos Tartarus and the giants lose so my friends and family would be safe from their wrath. There was no way I would let them win they would destroy everything on the earth until there was almost nothing left.

Barely thinking about what I was doing I sped up time to an extent that Kronos could barely block my blows and I actually landed a couple of hits on him. He attempted to slow me down but I held on and kept control. Unfortunately if we fought over control of time much longer, well then we would have problems. I knew that I would have to finish that fight quickly and only one of us would come out of it in one piece.

I maintained my current pace in order to try and slip past Kronos's guard and land a fatal hit after he blocked a few more blows Kronos said "How are you so powerful? You shouldn't be this powerful?" Smirking I said "Well gramps that might have something to do with the fact that I was recently visited by Cronus before he faded and he gave me his remaining power."

It seemed that he was skeptical, either that or he was annoyed that the power hadn't been given to him. It could even be a combination of the two. After my visit from Cronus I had investigated with my domain a bit, playing around with my powers and generally discovering a few new things that I can do now.

Most of those things I probably won't use much but they might be useful once in a while for instance right now Kronos was tiring since I was still fighting at an increased pace. You might say that what I did next was cruel, but since I did it to the evil titan lord I think it was justified. I said "In case you were skeptical about what I said about Cronus fading this should prove that I was telling the truth." After I said that I concentrated for a moment and when I was done the staff of Cronus was in my hand that wasn't holding my sword. You might wonder how I did that while I was still fighting. The truth is that in order to summon the staff I barely had to think about it so I was still able to mostly concentrate on fighting.

The staff makes it a bit easier to control time but since I have been doing it for twelve years without it I don't really need it, besides it's not really my style. I mostly just summoned it for dramatic affect. And it certainly had the desired affect a look of surprise crossed kronos's face, at the same time I slipped past his guard and stabbed him in the chest, and he quickly disappeared retuning to Tartarus, and the chopped up state he had been in after the first titan war.

Once he was gone I let the staff go and I also let time return to normal speed. I may have made all that sound easy, but the truth is keeping time sped up for that long tires me out, but for now I'm okay. I looked to see how the battle was going since I had been pretty distracted with Kronos.

I could see that our forces were getting pushed back due all the powerful monsters that were in Kronos's forces, I also saw far too many demigods lying on the ground either injured or dead. This obviously saddened me, especially since I may not know them all that well but due to my being god of Heroes I knew just by looking at them who they were. I knew their name Parentage and backstory.

I was very happy when I saw that Luke wasn't among the casualties. But I wasn't exactly pleased with his current situation either. He was facing one of the monsters that I had never actually beaten, I had faced it when I was his age, but I wasn't able to beat it and it had almost killed me. He along with some other demigods one of which was a hunter. Due to the number of girls Artemis had recruited after the last wars she had enough hunters that they were separated into two groups, one led by Artemis herself, the other by Thalia. I assumed that this girl must have gotten separated from the rest of Thalia's force. She was probably trying to fight her way back to them. I knew that her name was Lola queen, she had brown hair, fair skin, and  eyes that were a mix of purple  and blue. She's a daughter of Hecate. She fights with twin daggers, although she can also use the typical hunter weapons such as the bow and Arrows and hunting knives. She can also do magic.

How did I know all that? No I wasn't spying on the hunters, I wouldn't do that. Besides I'm not that much of an idiot. If I did that I would probably end up with one of Artemis's arrows where it hurts. I knew it because I'm god of heroes. Anyway she along with Luke and a couple other demigods were fighting the chimera while Echidna stood not far away watching them as they dodged the monster's fire breath and avoided its snake tail. She would probably step in if they managed to defeat the chimera but right now she seemed content to watch them struggle against her monster son.

I figured I'd better help because I figured that they might not be able to defeat it without my help. I headed toward them. as I walked toward them I saw the creature's tail swing toward Luke, I got rather worried as you would expect sine the snake tail has deadly venom, and I speak from experience since if it wasn't for the fact that my dad had saved me I would have died from it when I was Luke's age.

In order to avoid the tail Luke slowed down time around it to the point where he could cut it right off with his sword. Clever move, after the tail hit the ground it continued to writhe and squirm. Just for good measure Luke once again swung his sword and cut the snake's head off. The chimera made a noise of anger, as did its mother. I guessed that the chimera was preparing to blow fire, and now I was close enough to do something to help. I watched the creature, and just as it blew fire I sent a stream of water toward it. When my water hit the chimera's fire it sizzled and turned into steam.

The monster's attention was focused on Luke, but I guess that's understandable since he had cut its tail off. When I had sent the water at the chimera Luke had said "Dad?" he said it as more of a question since he hadn't seen me yet. I said "Who else?" still not daring to take his eyes of the monster he said "Well it could have been Grandpa." I shrugged even though he couldn't see it and said "True."

Just before the chimera blew fire again the demigods scattered. Luke ran to the left before turning back toward the chimera, running toward it and jumping onto its back. It tried to shake him off but he hung on. I might have helped a bit by slowing its movements. He probably would have fallen off otherwise since he was only hanging on with one hand and his legs.

Even though he was struggling not to be thrown he managed to stab the monster in the neck killing it. As the monster disintegrated Luke fell, he tied to land on his feet but he stumbled and fell down. Not the most graceful landing but he just killed a very powerful monster. So it doesn't really matter. Once the chimera was gone we turned to its mother. Who shrieked "You killed my son!" I responded "No actually Luke here did that, or were you not paying attention." Luke said "Dad, you and Josh, Evan and the hunter helped." I said "Take the credit, you struck the final blow." "Fine." He huffed although I think he was still reluctant to take the credit for it. I looked back at echidna and said "by the way echidna, how's Australia." She said "ugh I hate Australia!" Typical. She always says that since they named the animal after her. I guess she was already angry since Luke had defeated the chimera, and my jab about Australia probably hadn't helped her mood so she charged at us.