Chapter 12 -

"He's just so lovely, you wouldn't believe-"

The door opens wide, Ashton standing in the doorway. My cheeks redden and I frown. "What're you doing here?" I ask, cocking an eyebrow. "This is Maggie and Paula's dorm, y'know."

"I know," he says. "Who's lovely?" 

"No one," I lie, but Paula interrupts me.

"Shawn," she tells him, smiling brightly. I swat her arm, rolling my eyes.

"He and I hung out, that's all," I say, my eyes running over Ashton's attire. "Why're you dressed up so nicely?"

He purses his lips, clearing his throat. "I have work. I just thought I'd say hi. I haven't seen you all day, but looks like you're just fine without me." He gives me a fake smile and I sigh, watching as he turns around briskly, closing the door harshly.

I look at Paula. "Thanks for telling him, by the way," I hiss, climbing off Maggie's bed and walking to the door. I ignore my friends' whines as I head out, staring down the hallway. I'm hoping to catch Ashton so I can explain before he leaves for work, but it turns out I'm too late, as the hallway is empty.

- Ashton's POV

My fists clench around the steering wheel as I think of Ella going out with that guy. I don't know if I should be grateful that Paula told me, because I know if she hadn't Ella wouldn't have mentioned it at all. 

I huff as the car in front of me doesn't drive during the green light, shoving my hand on the horn after fifteen seconds. I've no patience for shit drivers.

I listen to Green Day on the radio as I drive to the office, parking the car in a spot intended for interns only. I get out of the car, locking it and heading inside. I see Andrea right away, scribbling something on paper at the front desk. I approach her, plastering a smile on my face. "Doctor Phillips."

She swivels around, raising her brow. I'll never get used to her damn glasses. "Mr. Irwin! Great to see you. I have an assignment for you." I nod, urging her to go on. "Go into one of the spare offices and wait for me, please."

I do as she says, plopping down into an office chair. They're awfully uncomfortable, but I don't comment as she walks in, sitting down across from me. She sets a tape recorder on a desk, along with a file. "I have a patient who's agreed to be recorded for interns. Listen to it, make notes, and report to me."

I watch as she leaves the office, and once she closes the door I press play on the recorder, opening the file. I scan through Andrea's notes, freezing once I hear her voice.

"How come?" I hear the doctor ask. I gnaw my lip, my eyes closing, pinching my eyebrows together.

   "I've... been having some trouble recently. I don't sleep well, due to a reoccurring nightmare," I hear her say. The recorder makes her voice sound a bit scratchy, but I'd recognize it anywhere.

I should not be reading this, listening to Ella's appointment. It's wrong. I really should go explain to Andrea, and find a different assignment for the day. But I want to know.

I listen to Ella recall everything that happened in Australia towards the end, talking about her nightmare. "Was Ashton sorry?" Andrea asked her. "He was. So sorry," Ella replied.

She knows I'm sorry. That's something.

I let out a sigh as she tells what happens in the trailer during her nightmare. I let out a groan, kicking the feet of the desk. I, of course, growl and roll my eyes when she admits she wants to give Shawn a chance. That bastard.

The appointment ends but Andrea must've forgotten to turn off the recorder, as I hear Ella's footsteps, and then her voice faintly asking how to fix the dreams.

"You need to learn how to forgive him." I rub my eyes with my hands as I hear the doctor tell her that. Is that why she came and spoke to me last night? I ought to thank Andrea.

A click noises as the tape ends. I bite my lip, pushing away the recorder and pulling the file towards me. I grab a pen, scribbling down multiple notes. Never thought I'd have to help diagnose the girl I might still be in love with. 

Post traumatic stress disorder. It makes sense, with what happened with Jered and also her father. And me. The dreams occur as a mind's way to cope, I believe, and hopefully with enough therapy and work, they'll go away.

I close the file, setting down the pen. I stand up, grabbing the recorder and papers, walking out to the front desk. I see the receptionist, immediately mentally rolling my eyes. Ever since my first day, she's been flirting with me non-stop. 

I approach Lily's desk, pursing my lips as she looks up at me. She gives me a flirty smile, batting her eyelashes. "Hi, Ashton!" She says, her attempt at speaking seductively failing miserably. "I didn't know you were working today."

"Mhm. Where's Doctor Phillips?" I ask curtly, cocking an eyebrow.

She giggles, resting her hand in her chin as she bites her lip. "She's in her office. I could lead the way..." she says slowly, ending it with wink.

Dear God. Isn't this some form of harassment? I never asked to be Lily's victim.

I clear my throat, giving her a cold look. "I'll find my way, I don't need your help."

She coughs awkwardly, looking down. I praise myself secretly, wandering off in search of Andrea's office. Once I find it, I return her items. She's kind enough to let me go early, since she claims to be very satisfied with my report.

I'm happy to be on my way back to the dorm, but I can't deny feeling a little down due to Ella and Shawn's day. I'll have to pry answers from the other girls. Was it a date? Probably, considering she called him lovely. 

As I park my car, I smile a bit dreamily as I think of Ella being with me instead of Shawn now. But then I frown as I remember why she isn't in the first place, and the guilt hits me harder than ever.

-

A/N - I HAVE WONDERFUL NEWS ! My gym teacher was absent today, so guess who didn't have to the mile? Hahhah

Some of my classmates were actually a bit disappointed, and I could not understand. I had to play basketball with a few boys though, and it was so awkward because I suck at every damn sport. I accidentally hit one of them in the head with the ball, and I couldn't stop apologizing lol

Also, I feel bad for self promotion but whateves. I have a new story out! Please kick my ass for me. I have so many books to update right now, but I'm really excited for this one. I ALSO HAVE AN IDEA FOR A LARRY STORY, SO THAT MIGHT BE OUT SOON. Any-who, it's a Harry Styles fic, (daddy kink !!!) and if you guys would like to check it out, that'd be super cool!!

Love you all. I hope you liked the chapter and thanks for reading!