Chapter 9 -

I wander around the mall in search of my friends. We agreed to meet here, I've texted them several times - where the hell are they?

At last I spot them waiting by the entrance on the other side of the mall, and head towards them. "Hi!" I say, smiling. Ashton looks at the floor and I don't look at him, or, I at least try not to.

"Ugh, finally," Paula sighs. "Where were you?"

I laugh nervously, shaking my head. "Just, y'know...out and about. Doesn't matter."

"Let's go then," Maggie says, walking towards the stores. I walk beside Calum, and even though I'm fairly sure he doesn't know what happened, he knows there's a lot of tension between Ashton and I.

"Victoria's Secret!" Maggie exclaims, at the same time I say, "Hot Topic!"

I look at her, cocking an eyebrow. "I'm going to Hot Topic."

"Ella, no, please. I need to look great for Bethany when she comes, and I need your opinion," Maggie whines, grabbing my hand.

I tug it away, pursing my lips. "I'll meet you in Victoria's Secret afterwards. I won't be long." I give her a bright smile, gripping onto Calum's arm and pulling him towards the store.

"I'll come, too," Ashton coughs from behind us, and I mentally roll my eyes.

In the store, I find a few T-shirts I like, and I wander towards the back of the store. I see a large display case with pictures of different tank tops hanging above the drawers. I scan the pictures, my eyes widening when I see one labelled "Daddy's Girl."

I snatch one up, not even caring if anyone sees. With a pile of shirts in my arm, I head to the register and blush as the employee looks awkwardly at me as he scans the tank top.

I let Calum know I'm going over to Maggie, saying it loud enough so Ashton knows. I find Maggie looking at the lace panties. "What color do you want?" I ask.

She turns around, holding up a pair of purple panties. "Beth's favorite color," Maggie explains briefly, scanning the underwear. "Just need to find a matching bra," she murmurs.

I chuckle, raising my eyebrows as she clearly doesn't need my help. I decide to have a look around anyway, and I find myself at the lingerie section.

I hold up a black, banded Babydoll, observing it carefully.

"You'd look nice in that."

I turn around, my cheeks flushing as I meet eyes with Calum. "Ha, thanks," I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"No, really," he chuckles. I smile, but it fades as soon as I see Ashton watching us from where he's standing with Luke. Luke looks absolutely petrified, looking around nervously at all the bras and panties.

"I'm getting it," I say, laying it over my arm. I pick out a few bras and panties, even a few thongs for when I wear leggings. I'll look hot as fuck in this stuff, but my bank account will literally be in flames after I check out.

We move on to a few other stores, and I purchase a few new clothing items that'll look nice for classes. I even buy a dress that Paula insisted I get for when we end up having a 'girl's night out.' It's a black, strapless dress that's tighter around the chest area, but looser at the bottom.

"I'm hungry," Michael whines. "Can we please go to the food court?"

I nod in agreement, and we all head there. I stand there like a fool, trying to decide what I want. Everyone but Ashton went off to buy food. I look at him out of the corner of my eye and see him staring at me, and I quickly redirect my gaze.

I feel him standing next to me. "Do you know what you want?" He asks me quietly.

I shake my head, sighing. "Nope," I reply, walking straight towards Taco Bell, where Michael is standing. "Hi, Mikey."

"Hi, Ella! I'm getting a burrito!" He exclaims, smiling proudly.

Nodding, I laugh, examining the menu. "Burritos are nice," I say. I walk towards the counter, smiling at the employee. "Can I get a Soft Taco Supreme?"

The lady nods shortly, typing something into the register. I hand over money and step back, waiting for my order. It doesn't take long, and I sit down at a table beside Paula. Everyone got something different, except for Michael and I.

I'm about to bite into my taco before I see Luke, his hands covering his mouth and staring at a slice of pizza the size of his hand. "Luke, are you okay?" I ask.

His eyes jump to mine, before slowly picking up the pizza and taking a big bite. "It's so beautiful, and it's enormous," he tells me, his mouth full.

I nod, raising my eyebrows. "Welcome to America," I snort, biting into my taco. I lean back in my chair, gazing over at Ashton. He's eating a burger, and I notice a small dollop of sauce on his lips. I never thought I'd be jealous of mustard.

-

"Is anyone riding back with me?" I ask, unlocking my car. I look over at my friends, seeing Calum raising his hand. I wave him over, and he jumps into the passenger seat.

I'm trying to drive carefully but it's difficult when he's hounding me to beat the others back to the dorm. So damn childish.

"They're ahead of us, oh my-"

"Calum?" I interject, glancing over at him curiously.

"Yeah?"

"I have to ask you something. Don't overreact or anything, uh, but did you know Ashton is talking with Eva?" I ask, biting my lip anxiously.

He quiets, raising his eyebrows and crossing his arms over his chest. "No, I did not."

"I just found out. I was only wondering if you knew," I tell him, sighing. "Don't mention it to him, please. No more drama."

He nods, shooting me a small smile. "I won't," he promises. "Is that why you guys are so awkward?"

"Yep."

The rest of the car ride is silent, except for the sound of the music playing quietly on the radio. I pull into a parking space near our dorm, and unfortunately, the others beat us back. I'm about to get out, when Calum speaks up. "Ella?"

I hum in response, my hand resting on the door handle.

"When you left Australia, Ashton couldn't even look at Eva. If he's talking to her, there must be a reason," he says.

I nod, and without saying a word, I go up to my dorm.

-

Around eleven o'clock, Luke and Michael go out for ice cream. For what reasons, I don't know, but I'm going to take advantage of their absences.

I force myself to crawl out of bed and make myself decent, slipping on plaid pajama shorts and a t-shirt, fitting my feet into my slippers.

I wander down the hallway, until I'm standing in front Ashton and Luke's dorm room. I take a deep breath, knocking on the door. I cross my arms over my chest, narrowing my brow as I hear footsteps approaching on the other side.

The door swings open and I'm face-to-face with Ashton. He looks surprised. "Ella, what do you need?"

"I need to know why."

-