Chapter 5 -

"I cannot fucking wait," Michael chuckles, squirming in his seat.

"I know, Mikey. You've told us a million times already," I grumble, pulling into the fairgrounds.

"Excuse me, crabby-Sue, but some of us want to have fun, and not sleep all day," he retorts. I cock an eyebrow and glare at him, turning off the car.

"Let's just go." I climb out of the car and stick the keys in my pocket, beginning to head towards the entrance with Paula at my side. The others catch up with us as we reach the ticket booth. "Hi, we each need a ticket."

Everyone starts digging through their pockets, and I in my purse, but a hand rests on mine. I look up. "I'll pay for yours," Ashton says, smiling shyly.

"Don't be silly, Ashton. I can pay for myself," I say. "But thank you."

"I insist," he murmurs, raising a brow. "C'mon, please?"

"No, Ash," I huff, handing the employee seven dollars. Her name tag says Alyssa and I give her a small smile before returning my gaze to Ashton.

"Okay, then you're spending lunch with me," he tells me proudly, handing Alyssa his share of money.

"Uh, no, I'm not."

"Uh," he mocks, "yes, you are."

"Ac-"

"Shut the hell up, Ella. Please. I'm being nice, let me buy you lunch." His eyes are pleading, so I nod, avoiding the persistent stares of my friends.

We each take a wrist band and walk in. I ignore Ashton's glances, keeping conversation with Maggie. She tells me all about Bethany, her girlfriend. From what I hear, she sounds so nice, and I hope I get to meet her one day.

"I would like to go on that ride," Michael states, pointing. We all look.

A giant pirate ship, that swings back and forth, until you're completely upside down. "I agree!" Paula smiles, moving next to Michael.

"I think I'll sit out for this one," I stutter, pursing my lips and shuffling backwards.

"Ella," Calum groans. "Don't be scared."

"Don't be a pussy," Michael laughs and I narrow my brow.

I'll only go on it if Ashton will, but I have too much pride to say that out loud. Instead, I look at him for help. He seems to understand my expression, as he quickly walks to my side. "We'll be going," he says.

"I think," Luke starts, pausing. I look at where he's staring and see a girl. She's got thick, sandy blonde hair and despite the burning hot weather, she's wearing black skinny jeans and a long-sleeved, red sweater. Biting his lip, Luke continues, "I'm going to sit it out."

Before anyone can object, Luke makes his way towards the girl. Calum snorts. "Ditching us already for a lass."

I shrug. "It'd be nice for him to start dating."

I don't dare take Ashton's hand, but I stand close enough so our arms are brushing as we walk. I absolutely hate upside-down rides, but I don't want to disappoint my friends.

We show the worker our bracelets and climb onto the ride. I feel anxious as more people file on. "Ashton," I squeak. "Maybe this isn't the best idea."

"I've got you," he says, resting his hand on my thigh. I place mine on top, lacing our fingers together tightly. As the ride begins to rock back and forth, my grip tightens.

My eyes are squeezed shut and my breath is shaky. "I need to get out, Ashton. I need to-"

"Ella, hey, look at me," Ashton says soothingly. I turn towards him and open my eyes. We're buckled in but all I can think is we're going to fall right out of the sky and die. Die before he and I get a second chance.

Fuck my self-conscience.

His hazel eyes are warming, showing nothing of his harsh past. I lick my lips, ignoring the petrified feeling in my chest. My stomach turns over as we hang upside down for a brief second and I take a deep breath.

My eyes stay focused on his, blocking out our surroundings. Just us.

I don't hear the wind gushing around us as we swing, I don't even hear the screaming riders as I lean into Ashton.

Four years and his lips are just as soft, still gentle, and he tastes the same. Four years I spent turning over in my sleep, dreaming about him, and here I am, kissing the boy who shattered my heart.

He doesn't pull away, and I can't bring myself to either. My hand moves to his cheek to steady myself as we turn upside-down.

The ride slows and I shift back into my seat. My fingers examine my swollen lips as I stare down at the floor in horror. Fuck.

My stomach feels strange from having been thrown around like a damn rag doll, and my heart is twisted after the kiss.

I whip off the belt that holding me in and run off the ride. "Ella!" Ashton shouts. It rings in my ears as I race towards a grassy spot. I empty the contents of my stomach onto the ground, ignoring the disgusted glances from strangers. Mainly, all I've thrown up is coffee, apples, and McDonald's.

I grimace, straightening my posture and wiping my mouth as I turn towards my friends. They all have worried expressions etched  onto their faces, except for Ashton, who's a mixture of worried and offended.

I smile nervously. "Motion sickness. So, who's up for another ride?"

-

I eat bits of the funnel cake quietly, glancing up every once in a while to look at Ashton. Once his eyes catch mine I frantically switch my gaze elsewhere.

"Do you want to talk about what happened on the first ride?" Ashton asks.

"No, thank you," I say, taking a fry from the basket. I agreed to have lunch with Ashton, and I try to keep my promises.

Everyone else has gone off, probably to get food or play games. It's not that awkward, being alone with Ashton. Sometimes I never really need to talk with him, as the silence is loud enough.

"I do."

"I don't."

"I forgot to brush my teeth this morning," he mumbles. "I am sorry."

I huff, looking up and shoving a fry into my mouth. "You tasted fine, Ashton." He looks pleased and I roll my eyes. "I just got nervous from the ride and. . ."

"Kissing me," he finishes. I nod. "You kissed me first."

"You kissed me back!"

"You made the first move," he shrugs, grinning as he pops a piece of funnel cake into his mouth.

"In my defense, I thought we were going to die." I can't help laughing a bit, and I use my hand to cover my smile.

"Bullshit," he chuckles, shaking his head. We're silent as our laughter calms. "It's nice," he says quietly.

"What is?"

"Knowing that your last dying move is to kiss me."

"It's not like I have anything better to do," I tease, smirking. He sighs, resting his head in his hand, his gaze set on me. "What're you thinking?"

"I'd really like to kiss you right now."

My eyes widen slightly, and I purse my lips. "You shouldn't... Well, we should go find the others."

He looks down, licking his lips. Returning his eyes to mine, he smiles, nodding. "Yeah, let's go."

We get up and toss our garbage, and with our hands dangling dangerously close to each other, we set out in a search to find our friends.

-