Chapter 4: A Mystery

She didn't even care about her sore muscles anymore, Catori ran outside the building and stopped there for a moment, trying to think of something to do.

Catori always walked to school, so she didn't have any way of reaching her mom before she had a nervous breakdown out of sheer concern and fear.

Even if she had a car –which she shouldn't drive being so agitated­ –she didn't know where she had to go. Was her mom at the hospital? She didn't know if she got hurt! Did she go to the police station? If she was okay they probably had to take her testimony. Was Minerva with her? Were they both okay?

Catori's hands flew to her hair as she tried to slow her breathing and her fast heartbeat before she had some short of panic attack.

"Catori!" A voice called her worriedly, but she didn't turn to it.

Soon, before her was the kind yet preoccupied face of Scott McCall. The boy softly held her by the shoulders and fixed his warm brown eyes on her.

"Are you okay?"

"I don't know where to go, or how to go or... or anything!" The girl gulped, frightened and distracted. "I-I don't even know if my mom got hurt"

"Was she at the museum?" Scott asked her urgently, to which she nodded slowly. "Stiles heard about it, he says all the witnesses are at the police station"

"Then my mom has to be there" Catori replied, slightly relieved that her mother hadn't been harmed, apparently. "I have to go with her"

"Do you need me to take you there?"

Catori felt shaky and restless, her eyes were also watery. She felt extremely tired and weary.

To answer the boy, she nodded again, trying to show through her expression how grateful she was for his help.

"Come on" Scott held her by the wrist and took Catori to his motorbike.

The both of them got on and he drove off in a rush.

*

Although Scott's arm around her felt secure and comforting, Catori couldn't help but to shake in pure fear.

Her mom was supposed to be okay, but Catori wouldn't calm down until she saw with her own eyes that she was safe and sound.

Scott pushed the door open and they walked into the police station. Immediately, the boy guided her to one of the desks, where a young man sat at, typing something on the computer.

"Parrish" Scott interrupted him, making him look up from his work.

"Hi, Scott" The young man's eyes landed on the girl for a moment, noticing how distraught she looked. "Is... your friend okay?"

"We're here to see if Catori's mother is here"

"What's her name?"

The two males glanced at her, so she tried to get a hang of herself and answer.

"Lu-Lucy Hudson"

Noticing that she was still really scared, Scott gently rubbed her upper arm in an attempt to calm her down.

"She's in the interrogatory room" Parrish replied softly, frowning as he felt bad for her.

"Is she okay?" Catori rushed to ask him.

"I don't know, I wasn't here when she arrived. You'll have to wait until she comes out" The deputy pursed his lips together apologetically. "Sorry, Catori"

The girl just nodded in a daze.

"Hey" Scott gently shook her until she glanced up at him. "I need to talk to Stiles, alright?"