Chapter 58: Baudh Gwaith

Start from the beginning

"This warrior was once a Captain," began Turion, "until he shamed himself before the entire Inner Circle. I could go into detail of course, but I do not believe that necessary, indeed I would not have mentioned your humiliation, had you not insulted the army I serve, the king I serve and the warrior I respect amongst most others. You have always shown your aversion to Legolas, 'tis nothing new and your motives are still a mystery to me for this hatred is surely more than jealousy.

However, should you decide not to disclose the root of your hatred, I will say simply that your opinion means nothing to me, for you do not have my respect, nor that of the Inner Circle," said Turion finally, his eyes lingering on Barathon before he turned and nodded his thanks to Sedren.

Barathon, alone once more inside the circle, scoffed. "My argument stands, he does not deserve the rank of lieutenant, just as he does not deserve to be the Silvan Warlord. I agree with my father, Lord Bandorion in this - his loyalty must be questioned. He will turn the Silvans against us until we have war!"

No one else seemed to be forthcoming, and so Barathon left the circle, nodding at Silor as he walked in the opposite direction.

"I am Silor, a warrior who was, until recently, aspiring to the rank of Lieutenant. I had the misfortune of serving with Lord Legolas on our journey to Imladris. All my hopes and dreams were dashed the day our paths crossed. And why? you may ask. Well I will tell you. I gave that warrior a direct order, and for my efforts I was thrown to the ground but that is not all," he added with a theatrical wave of his hand, "that elf - is not natural..."

There was a collective gasp and Legolas resisted the urge to close his eyes in dread. This elf had seen his eyes in spite of Ram en' Ondo's best efforts ...

It was Mithrandir that promptly walked into the circle to face Silor, his staff clicking over the cool stone slowly, calculatingly.

"Not natural, Silor?" he asked challengingly.

"There is a demon inside him, I have seen it for his eyes fill with green light and shine so bright they can no longer be seen!"

"Silor, calm yourself, warrior," said Mithrandir in a tone that Legolas would never have expected from the generally good-natured wizard, for it was patronising and sardonic.

"Calm myself? You did not see it, I did!"

"What you saw," said Mithrandir, raising his voice to cut off any further outburst, "is simply what happens to any listener when they are - listening - do not let your own absurd superstitions get the better of you, Silor, there is nothing unnatural about that."

"That was no ordinary pulse of light, Mithrandir, I tell you it is frightening, nothing good can induce such negative emotions, and I am not the only one to have seen it! They saw it too," he said, pointing at those members of The Company that had been there at the time.

"Well, they obviously do not agree with you that he is not natural, they are his very good friends, as you may know. For my part I have said all that needs to be said on that point - you exaggerate a perfectly normal physical response," said the Wizard finally, and then left the circle.