Chapter 11: First Contact

Angion had disappeared into the trees and the other warriors tracked silently behind Turion at the fore, and before Lainion at the rear.

Legolas was in the middle, feeling somewhat indignant at being treated like a maiden unable to fend for herself. He had tracked back home with Idhreno and Ram en', albeit that had been for rabbit and other small game. Here, they searched for signs of orcs! The mere comparison, and his own stupidity made him chuckle out loud, garnering the other warrior's curious gazes.

Before long, the forest began to quieten, and his patrol went into a state of pre-alert. Roles were designated, and Legolas had been told that, should there be a confrontation, he was to climb into the trees and offer cover with his bow. Faunion, a Sinda warrior was to accompany him - as if he were a child! he scoffed to himself angrily.

His mounting irritation became apparent when his angry musings led him to miss Turion's body language, unlike the others who had promptly either taken to the boughs or disappeared into the shade of the trees. Indeed he was the last to scamper up the bark and take his position near Faunion, who glared at him in reproof. Legolas decided he deserved it, for he had been sulking, making a fool of himself with his inattention.

Still a novice, he realised ruefully, yet he was determined to prove himself and so he bore the stern, non-verbal reprimand and prepared his bow, watching Faunion as he did so, yet always with an eye on Turion, the Captain.

A bird call had Faunion drawing on his short bow and Legolas did likewise, remembering his lessons on bird calls and their meanings. This was it then, he realised. He was going into battle for the first time, albeit from the safety of the trees!

The noise was now audible and Legolas scrunched his nose up in disgust, for the smell was pungent - so much so it made his eyes water, impairing his vision. Swiping at them with his sleeve he rapidly took up his draw once more, unaware of the smirk that Faunion had allowed to escape.

"Steady boy. Do not land until you are ordered to. Take out the archers first if there are any, and if there are none, take out those in the fanciest armour."

"Aye Faunion," he said a little too tightly - he was nervous.

"Aim for the chest or neck..."

Chest or neck, wondered Legolas in surprise, surely the eye or the neck; he did not understand and made a note to ask Lainion later.

Another call - imminent contact - they were coming and he was ready. His breathing doubled to keep up with his thumping heart, his eyes as wide as they could be and his mouth open. The fine hairs at the nape of his neck prickled painfully and his sight narrowed to where he knew the enemy would appear. He was ready, he said to himself again.

A guttural roar echoed around the glade and painfully in his ears, and the battle was unleashed. Faunion released and Legolas did likewise, his keen eye following his own projectile until it embedded itself in the eye of a mountain orc who shrieked and then fell to the floor, dead.

Legolas smiled and then drew once more, letting lose another green-fletched arrow, his smile wider as he watched his second victim fall, its eye pierced.

The group had been small and the archers had not been needed upon the ground, and so, with no more mountain orcs left alive, a smiling Legolas followed Faunion to the ground.

"Clean up - Angion, see to it," barked Lainion, as Legolas watched in awe of his Avarin mentor who he was observing in battle for the first time.

But the dark lieutenant suddenly whirled on his heels and came face to face with a startled Legolas.