Chapter 44: Escalation

The first Greenwood Summit had finished, and if one thing had become clear, it was that this Sindar-Silvan divide was real, the rift much wider than any of them had suspected. Bandorion and his faction of purists had been strengthened in some ways, for the picture of past glory and bounty struck a longing in the elder Sindar, a deep and heart-felt desire to return to those days in which country and king were everything, in which honour and service was all any young lord aspired to. These were the noble families that had followed Oropher himself to these new lands.

Yet that position had also been weakened, for the Silvan spokesperson, Erthoron, had spoken plainly and convincingly. He did not wish the opposite for them, he said, but the same for his own, Silvan people. All they asked for was the same recognition, the same right to be proud of their culture, without undermining the other cultures with which they lived.

But Bandorion, brother of Oropher, took things to the extreme and while many did not agree with that it was the only official stance that stood overtly for the renewal of that glorious Sindar identity. There were many Sindar that embraced their Silvan brothers and agreed that their military structure was as biased as it was unjust to the forest warriors, and they did not believe that leadership did not come naturally to the Silvan people, agreeing even, to the creation of a Military leader similar to the ancient figure of the Silvan Warlord. What did they have to lose, so long as the Silvan people were loyal? Of course Erthoron and the Silvans had demanded this position be offered to Legolas, and truth be told, none were quick to agree, stating simply that they would meet this Silvan, Thranduil's illegitimate son, before bestowing upon him such an important position.

No decision had, therefore, been made, for Thranduil had postponed it until Handir had returned to the woods, with Legolas as part of the escort. Once he had met the boy, once he had presented him at court and there was consensus, only then would they decide, and although there were many against his naming, there were more in favour of it.

That had been two weeks ago, and the halls had emptied once more, leaving the predominantly Sindar population at the fortress, with only a smattering of Silvans here and there. They were mainly teachers, servants and healers, or those that cared for their animals. But it would not stay like this for long, for in a few scant days, everything would come full circle. Thranduil's family, with the exception of Maeneth, would come together, for the first time, and with Handir's coming, so too would Legolas.

Aradan watched his friend as he paced the library where they had been reviewing the petitions and suggestions the Silvans had left for them to consider, but today, there was no rest for the king for he was distracted, and it was no mystery to Aradan as to why that would be. The moment of truth approached and where he had thought the king decided and resolved with respect to his son, now he seemed unsure, doubtful, worried that perhaps, the boy would not live up to the expectations that had slowly been building over the days of the summit.

From Elrond's missives, and Handir's own words, the child seemed competent, and he thought perhaps that it was more to do with how the king anticipated Legolas' acceptance or otherwise of his family, how he would treat his father, his elder brother. Would he embrace them? Would he despise them? Would he want nothing to do with Erthoron's dreams of restoring the Silvan forest to what it had once been?

There was also the question of his tender age. Seven hundred and forty four was nothing, indeed most novice warriors were at least eight or nine hundred years old. The responsibility may be too much for one that was not born into royalty, for one that had not been instructed in the ways of statesmanship and leadership.