Test 23: Playing Lego

To ensure that nobody catches me fooling around, I make sure to close the door with my card. Then, I walk to my bag and bring out the legendary plastic bag.

"Come here."

I signal Lily to follow me as I proceed toward the rear of the room.

thump

tap tap tap

She follows me with small steps after sliding from the sofa. I bring her and the Lego to the farthest corner of the room, hiding them behind a partition.

"Do you know what's Lego?"

"Lego?"

She tilts her head and blinks a couple of times. I put down the plastic bag and spill Lego bricks onto the floor.

I take a lego plate and put it between me and Lily. To show her the basics, I randomly grab 2x1 bricks and connect them to the plate.

"The idea is that all parts can be connected and you can build anything you want."

"Oh!"

She follows my actions with glittering interest. After completing a random square out of 2x1 bricks, I turn toward Lily.

"Do you understand?"

"E-eh? O-of course!"

She shifts her eyes away with a nervous face. Such a cute little liar, I'm inclined to pat her a little.

"Here, take this brick and try connecting it on top of what I built."

I point toward a random 2x1 brick. She stretches her small hand and clumsily picks it up, after clumsily letting it slip through her fingers a few times.

She turns toward my random creation and eyes it intently.

"Gu..."

She twists her lips in discomfort, occasionally throwing short, nervous glances at me.

"Try putting this brick here for example."

"I-I know!"

She puffs her cheeks and quickly brings her fingers toward the destination.

"..."

She freezes. Her finger is resting on top of the brick, but she doesn't do anything with it.

"Hey..."

I try to wave in front of her face, but there's no reaction.

clack

The brick finally connects. Lily is freed from the daze and looks at me with puppy eyes.

"Good job."

"H-hmph."

She hides her embarrassed face after I pat her.

"Now that you understand the basics, try building something."

"Hm?"

She tilts her head with a blank expression. Seems like it was too early to rejoice about her success...

Simply connecting bricks isn't nearly enough to play Lego. She needs the creativity and curiosity which make kids fiddle with lego. How many of these does Lily posses...?

"By connecting bricks this way, you can build whatever you wish."

I grab more bricks and place them on the plate to complete the second floor of the construct. I let Lily fill in some of the parts as well, to make sure that her first success wasn't a fluke.