Test 11: Results...!

Almost two weeks pass by since the exam.

I spend most of my time lazing around and playing video games, waiting for the results. Mother occasionally nags me to apply for more companies in the meantime, but I keep procrastinating it.

Truth to be told, with my weak background, the chances of being accepted aren't very high. Even if their job requirements are exaggerated on paper, it still means that they'd favor people with more experience or a higher academic degree.

My only source of comfort is how I nailed the "Bonus Stage", beating that sharp-tongued woman; it's an achievement on par with a platinum trophy.

RING RING RING

I leap on my phone like a hungry wolf.

"Hello!?"

"Am I speaking with Nick?"

"Y-yes!"

"I'm calling from Anomalia, about your interview for a position in our company."

T-this is it.

The big moment. Judgment day.

"I'd like to inform you that you were accepted for the job you were applying to."

Ah...

Ah...!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!

"Is the job still relevant for you?"

"Of course!"

I quickly dash to grab a pen and a piece of paper, to write down every single relevant detail.

The rest of the phone call dumps me with information about various procedures. After writing everything down and finishing the call, I burst into another victorious shout.

"HELL YEEEEEEAH!!!"

I did it.

I still can't believe it, but I somehow did it!

On joyful occasions such as these, I'm willing to take the initiative and to text my mother about the good news. She'd probably call me to discuss everything in more detail, but I'm in a GREAT mood right now, I'm willing to deal with that hassle.

The following couple of days are spent on sorting out contract papers. The company sent me the papers via email and I go over them with mother.

Or rather, she goes over most of them herself; she understands these things a lot better than I do. With that tedious work out of the way, I'm finally told to visit the company for my first day of work.

After a ride of nearly an hour by bus and train combined, I finally reach the company branch in which I'll be working.

A huge, tall building greets me as I follow the directions of a navigation app. It's difficult to contain my excitement when I witness the magnitude of the company.

Before putting the phone away, I bother to answer mother's text messages. As expected, she managed to slip a "Have you arrived?" message somewhere along my train ride.

I ignored it earlier, but now is a good time to send back a short "Yes". Once done, I turn off the navigation app save battery and approach the building's entrance.

It's closed.

A transparent automatic door blocks my way and it doesn't open up even when I'm about to bump into it.

I peek inside and see people working busily, which means that the place itself isn't closed down. Is there a bug in the door? Have I found a bug as soon as I arrived?! That gotta be some record.