Test 12: Eric

The elevator's door opens and I step outside.

Finding the "Artificial Imprinting" department is a lot easier than I expected, there's a huge sign right in front of the elevator. I follow the sign's instructions and turn right, until I reach a long hallway.

A transparent door stands in front of me.

It looks like an automated door, but it doesn't open even when I stand a couple of centimeters away from it. The same thing happened earlier this morning, so I can already guess what's the big deal.

I take out my ID card and pass it by a card reader. After I hear a confirmation sound, the door opens and I stride forth.

"Umm, I was told to meet someone called Eric..."

I call out to the first person I come across.

"Eric? Just continue forward and then turn right, his room is 638."

"Thanks."

Luckily, the very first random passerby knows the guy by name. I assume Eric is someone important around here? Maybe the QA team leader?

When the hallway ends, it connects to another hallway and I have the option to turn either left or right. As the man told me, I turn right.

While I walk through the second hallway, I see offices lined up to my right; one of these should be Eric's office.

To my left, there's only a wall made of glass. It's effectively a huge window which showcases the surrounding area. Since this is the 6th floor, the field of view is pretty impressive, though also a little intimidating.

632... 634... 636... 638.

In the middle of the hallway I reach room 638. This hallway seem to only cover rooms with even-numbers, making Eric's room the fourth in the row.

The door to his office is already open.

"Um, excuse me..."

I timidly knock on the open door and step inside. There's only one table in the office, yet there are three people flocking around it.

"Okay, so I install the language package and what next?"

"Wait, do these have versions? Also what's the package's size?"

"I heard it's a few terabytes. We'll probably need to borrow external storage, right?"

The three workers around the table, two men and one woman, continuously ask questions. The woman is taking notes in a small notebook, whereas the men simply nod as their questions are being answered.

Behind the table sits a man with a tired expression, answering the countless questions thrown at him. He wears a friendly smile, despite clearly being worn out; he must be Eric.

"Umm, excuse me..."

Nobody even notices me standing by the door; the group is too occupied with discussing work-related matters.

Since there's no rush, I decide to wait until they leave.

The group disperses after roughly 15 minutes.

I understood little of what they were talking about, but at the very least I got the impression that Eric is a veteran in the field.

"Don't worry, we'll come nagging soon enough, man!"

One of the leaving men cracks a laugh before walking through the door.

"Please don't, I need to do some real work sometimes too."