Now Part 9

The next morning, Douglas spends an hour watching the sunrise on the balcony outside of their rooms, drinking the worst cup of coffee he has ever had. It's bitter, grainy, only partially dissolved, and isn't mixed properly, but then again, Douglas was never good at making coffee. 

After wallowing in some more self-pity for good measure, he places the empty cup on the ground by his feet and walks to the entrance of the motel. He stuffs his right hand into his pocket, in search of some change, turning over the silver coins he finds with his fingers. 

When he reaches the payphone, his eyes already sting. 

He is certain he needs to do this right now. 

He presses the coins into the slot, leaning his forehead against his shoulder, taking a shuddering breath. He lifts the receiver from its holder and holds it to his ear. He counts to seven and begins to dial the numbers.

Douglas' wife picks up almost immediately.

"Hello?"

"It's me," Douglas says, trying his hardest to calm his voice. "Please don't react."

"Where the fuck are you? There's a nationwide search for you, Douglas!" Amanda Washington's voice, very different from her usual prim and proper dialect, is laden with worry and panic.

"I'm fine," Douglas soothes, directed at both himself and her, scratching the stubble which decorates his jaw. "It's all under control. When they ask you where I am, tell them you have no idea, and that before I left I spent a lot of time in the basement. That will throw them off my trail for a week or so." 

"I....I can do that," Amanda says, seeming to calm slightly. "Are you happy for me to tell Frank about all of this? I'm going to book an appointment for tomorrow."

"Frank is with me," Douglas confesses, "He's here to help Rosa."

"Sounds like quite the party." 

"Amanda, please!" Douglas rubs his temple without even realising, unaware of the continual stress that this marriage causes him. "Please don't make this any harder than this has to be."

"I-"

"No." Douglas takes another breath. "Let me do this. I didn't just call you to give you instructions." 

"Douglas, you don-"

"I need to do this, Amanda," He takes another pause while he gathers the courage to continue. "I'm leaving you, Amanda. I want a divorce if I make it out of this alive."

The silence on the other end of the call tells Douglas he can continue. 

"This is a very long time coming, and I am so sorry that I put you through a failed marriage for so long-"

"Douglas, stop," Amanda orders, her voice firmer than Douglas had anticipated. "It's okay. I've been seeing someone else for a while now."

"Wait, what?"

"His name is Gio and I met him last Christmas," Amanda sounds calm, collected, so unlike the woman Douglas thought she was. "I mean, of course there have been others, but I think I've finally found the one."

Douglas doesn't quite know what to say to that.

"Douglas?"

"I was seeing another man for seven years behind your back." Douglas blurts out in a quick succession of words. 

He was not expecting a burst of laughter as a reply.

"I know, Douglas. I've known for so long. How could I not?"

He feels like a fool. 

"Oh Amanda," Douglas sobs. "How did I mess up this bad?" 

"Douglas, it's okay! I'm just annoyed we spent all that time in therapy saving a marriage that was long gone," Amanda even laughs slightly, and the sound is foreign to Douglas. "Now go get him."

"I-"

"I love you, Douglas, just not in the way a wife should. Now, please, find your man and get back here safe so we can sign some papers that give me half of your money." She laughs again, and Douglas lets himself laugh with her. 

She hangs up soon after that, leaving Douglas with wet streaks where tears had run on his face and a smile. He looks up to the sky, cerulean like never before. 

When he returns to the rooms, only Rosa is awake.

A long silence passes before either speak.

"I wanted to see the sunrise, but I woke up too late." Rosa says, her voice hollow and absent. 

"It was nice." Douglas tells her.

"How did Amanda take it?"

"What?"

"I can read you like a book, Washington," Rosa says casually before she opens the door. "Just do him a favour and keep your ring on for a little longer while he forgives you."

With that, the door closes, leaving Douglas alone on the balcony once more. 

He picks up the coffee cup and heads inside, feeling lighter than ever before. 

~

The song of the chapter is 'No Angels' By Bastille and Ella Eyre