Now Part 3

His head lies heavy in his hands. His fingernails dig ridges in the shape of crescents into his cheeks. His tears moisten the skin beneath his eyes and when he looks up at the oncoming white car, his tears glow in the sunlight's reflection.

It is his wedding day.

The white car stops, but the engine continues in a low, satisfied hum. The glare of the windows prevents Brandon Dent in evaluating who is inside, but his mind wanders, making up possible answers instead. As he weighs up the possibility of his Aunt Mary and her husband being inside the car, he makes out the outline of a face he could never forget.

His heart leaps.

He pulls open the door in a leaping heartbeat and is met by the blue eyes he was expecting.

"Brandon, don't get the-"

Brandon looks back towards the building to assess if anyone could see him make his getaway. When the coast is clear, he slides into Douglas Washington's snazzy new car.

"Come on, let's drive, old man. I can't actually believe you came for me, Douglas! I never thought when I mailed the invitation that you would actually-"

"Brandon, I'm not here to take you away. I'm sorry, I really am." Brandon can see Douglas brace, and rolls his eyes.

"Then why the fuck would you come?!" He exclaims, frustrated, betrayed and disappointed most of all.

It's not that he doesn't want to marry William, it's just that he'll always be waiting to Douglas Washington to man up and leave his wife. And when that day comes, as much as Brandon has tried to fight it, he knows that without a doubt, he will always say yes.

He hates that about himself.

"I've just come to drop off your wedding gift." Douglas smiles slightly and Brandon frowns in response.

"There's nothing on this earth that you could give me that I want any more." Brandon shakes his head, reopens the door and slides back out, wiping at his eyes that threaten to leak.

"I'm offended, Brandon."

He stops in his tracks.

The door behind the seat he was sat in opens. First, a green shoe. Next, a slender pale leg. Then, the hem and skirt of an emerald dress. Finally, the torso, shoulders and face of Rosa Waters emerge.

Brandon begins to cry for a completely different reason because she's here. She's actually here. She's breathing, she's standing, she's moving and God, she's actually smiling.

On reflex, he slams the door behind him, the one in front of him and pulls her into his arms. He presses his face against her cheek and grins. Her body shakes with with what he assumes is laughter at his volatile state, but when she pulls away, he can see that her eyes are nearly spilling with tears which causes him to only pull her closer.

"I think you've got something in your eye."

"Yeah," she laughs slightly, and the sound surprises him. "Probably just some dust from your old tux."

"Too expensive to buy a new one." He admits with a chuckle.

Their embrace is interrupted by Douglas turning his car back on. He rolls down a window.

"I've gotta be at a crime scene in 10. I'll see you, Waters, at midnight. Brandon, have a...nice time." He drives away before either of them can reply.

A morose look grows on Brandon's face and he exhales. Rosa turns and pulls him towards the church.

"No looking back now Brandon. It wastes a shitload of time," She says. "Now, let's go and get you married."